Serious Storm Related Problem

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lisa67

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Living with the endless power outage from hurricaine Sandy and thankful to have Internet back! I have 3 tanks ranging from 15 gal to 125 gal. Up until now we have been running a generator which has powered my house, at least the basic stuff, and has kept my fish tank filters and heaters going. However, I won't be able to run the generator much longer....gas has become scarce....and quite honestly we had a pre- planned trip to Florida that we aren't canceling because we REALLY need to get out of here for a bit. I'm sure that some of you with tanks have lived through power outages.... Is there any type of back up I can get to keep things running?

I'm really stressing about this. Thanks in advance!

Here's what you need to do to save your fish:

1) Stock up on water condtioner
With no filter, ammonia will rise. Daily big water changes are essential, so you'll be needing a lot of dechlorinator.

2) Get some plastic water bottles
Some of you in the northern states will have cold temperatures. The lucky few with gas stoves can heat water and put them into plastic water bottles to float in the tank, keeping water warm. Beware of temperature fluxuations!
Covering the tank in a blanket will keep the heat in.

3) Float your filter media in the tank.
The bacteria will die if the media gets dry. It will also give it some ammonia to feed on and convert.

4)Don't overfeed and limit feeding
You cannot afford any spikes in ammonia. Fish can go weeks with no food, but only days with ammonia

5) Invest in a battery operated air pump.
I strongly, strongly suggest everyone get a battery operated air pump. With no lights for plants to photosynthesize, no power for the filter or air bubbler to work, CO2 will rise and the fish will die of hypoxia. I recommend using the Marina Battery Operated Air Pump, worked wonders. Stock up on D-cell batteries, and don't let the air pump run for more than three days. It will overheat and burn out, leaving you pumpless. Give it occasional breaks to cool down.

6) Be vigilant
Monitor stats closely. Don't let things change too quickly or fish will die. Monitor fish behavior.

7) Buy some ammonia remover.
For some big, overstocked, or for messy fish, water changes may not be enough. Using ammonia removers or detoxifyers like AmmoniaSafe by Tetra or dechlorinators like Seachem Prime will help a lot.

8) Keep calm and carry on
Don't panic. This is the worst thing that can happen.

9) Stay safe.
Don't be that one idiot to go outside to videotape the storm. Who will take care of the fish if you get crushed by flying debris? If you house starts to flood, unplug all electronics and keep the wires dry and above the water.

10) Expect the worse
Better safe than sorry. Some more sensitive fish and invertebrates will die, and this cannot be avoided. Don't be too crushed, you won't be the only one.

I guess I will have to prepare for the worst... As I said, we will be leaving. My daughter will be managing the dogs, cat and fish. I'm sure she will make an effort, but doubt she will be as vigilant as I would ( she doesn't live with me and has power in her apartment) so I doubt she will want to hang out in my cold, dark house. Thank you for your advice. Praying the power comes back on before we leave!

Most reactions

trending

Back