Sealing decorations to make them tank safe?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

AdoraBelle Dearheart

Nutty fish nutter
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Anyone every used anything like aquarium sealant to coat a decoration and make sure no paint can flake or leech chemicals into the water? I'm not usually one for themed tanks or fake decor, but I am playing around with the idea of creating a themed aquascape just for fun, for the short term, like a fairy garden, but with some real plants and shrimp, for example. Or I saw someone once with a beautifully aquascaped nano tank, yet they'd made a path out of lighter gravel then put two tiny plastic flamingos on either side, and it looked awesome!

But, super wary about potentially toxic leeching of chemicals into the water column of course. But has me wondering whether it's possible to coat items like these;

fairy garden accessories.jpg

By painting a layer of aquarium sealant over them, or some other product that would provide a thin, clear water proof layer, rendering them aquarium safe. What do aquarium ornament manufacturers use even?

Hey, Adora. I've never tried sealing stuff. I just try to use things that are aquarium safe. I'm pretty sure that's what ornament manufacturers do--they just use fish-safe paint. Otherwise, I'd be worried that the sealant would wear off eventually.

Anyone every used anything like aquarium sealant to coat a decoration and make sure no paint can flake or leech chemicals into the water? I'm not usually one for themed tanks or fake decor, but I am playing around with the idea of creating a themed aquascape just for fun, for the short term, like a fairy garden, but with some real plants and shrimp, for example. Or I saw someone once with a beautifully aquascaped nano tank, yet they'd made a path out of lighter gravel then put two tiny plastic flamingos on either side, and it looked awesome!

But, super wary about potentially toxic leeching of chemicals into the water column of course. But has me wondering whether it's possible to coat items like these;

View attachment 116942

By painting a layer of aquarium sealant over them, or some other product that would provide a thin, clear water proof layer, rendering them aquarium safe. What do aquarium ornament manufacturers use even?
Sealant will be tough to paint over it with, but not impossible. I've known resin to be used though

You can get aquarium safe casting resin, I know the guys on Tanked often make their own decorations maybe watch a few episodes of that and see what they do.
Issue with coating something is what if you miss a spot?
I wondered about resin, but have been hearing things about potential health risks from working with resin, people suffering with lung damage after getting into making resin keychains and mugs and things, in unventilated rooms without masks... I wonder if resin might be more dangerous than we realise.

I wondered about resin, but have been hearing things about potential health risks from working with resin, people suffering with lung damage after getting into making resin keychains and mugs and things, in unventilated rooms without masks... I wonder if resin might be more dangerous than we realise.
Probably as dangerous as drinking tap water and eating processed foods I'd imagine :rofl:

Hey, Adora. I've never tried sealing stuff. I just try to use things that are aquarium safe. I'm pretty sure that's what ornament manufacturers do--they just use fish-safe paint. Otherwise, I'd be worried that the sealant would wear off eventually.
Hey Badger! :D
Is there even such a thing as fish safe paint? I know that the one ugly plastic "no fishing" tank ornament I bought and stuck into my dad's tank to see how long it would take him to notice it - seems to have a clear top coat, but maybe others don't. Seems to be tough to find info on what is actually safe or not, I don't even trust most aquarium ornament manufacturers to test how safe their fake decor really is.

My usual policy is to just avoid any of em, I prefer a natural planted tank anyway, but it could be a lot of fun to create some themed tanks, and especially for people with kids! So figured there must be some foolproof coating that can be applied to seal these things, you know?

I've cast resin for a while for a business that didn't quite take off. It's the dust from cutting and sanding that is the bad bit, and I would take care with MEK if that's the catalyst used. I also live near a boat factory so know a few that work with resin.

That decor would look amazing! :good:

I would personally not try to seal anything not made for aquarium use, accidents can happen.

I believe they make mushroom/gnome aquarium decor. Look on Amazon or petco/PetSmart.

You can get aquarium safe casting resin, I know the guys on Tanked often make their own decorations maybe watch a few episodes of that and see what they do.
Issue with coating something is what if you miss a spot?
True about missing a spot, I've never used aquarium sealant before either, if it's anything like bathroom/tile sealant, would probably be too thick and gluey to properly paint and coat something anyway. Might have to get a small tube to test it out, and wouldn't hurt to have some stored in the fish cupboard too, just in case!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KTGT9IS/?tag=

You're welcome :p

Search for more "aquarium decorations mushroom" in the search bar on amazon
They are cute! I don't really just want to buy a load of aquarium decor and stick it in, not at this point. Wouldn't feel like I could be as creative, as well as costing a bomb for a temporary tank. That's why I was looking at sealing other items, since fairy garden things seem to a craze now, there are tons of cute and random fairy decor items around for kids, crafts, and gardens, but that probably wouldn't be tank safe. If I could coat them in a sealant of some kind though, it could work! Or cast them in resin, as suggested.
Could you buy a quart can of the stuff and dip the decorations in it? A few coats of that would give pretty good coverage, I would think. Much more of a sure thing than painting it.
Sounds like a good idea to me! Much easier as well as providing better coverage. Going to get a small tube first to see how it feels to work with, whether it'll paint on at all. Also if the coating is too thick, I wonder whether that could prevent it curing properly.
I love the idea of a fun fairy garden tank :wub: especially with nano fish or shrimp. Please do it and post loads of pics :wub:

LOL, thank you :lol: It might be one of those ideas that I'll think about doing now and again, but never actually get around to doing, you know? But we'll see! You know I'll make a journal thread if I do get around to it :D

I've never seen Tanked, will have to check out some episodes!

Another thing that appeals is potentially crafting little home made decor, like popsicle sticks into a little house or bridge, held together with undyed twine and superglue, since I know that superglue is tank safe. Real moss could be added. Wouldn't have any pops of colour though really, since I've no idea what paints might be aquarium safe. Some decor is sold as hand painted, wonder what paint they use?

@Byron , any insight into aquarium decor manufactoring? How fish safe those products might actually be, or what paint they use?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Am assuming might be able to use a sort of clear laquer spray on top of aquarium decor perhaps to seal things completely but unsure how long it would last submerged in water long term.

Ive never tried or even thought of doing something like that.

Intriguing thought.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back