Seachem Purigen for tannins, questions.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SomethingsFishy24

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
I found a few pieces of Ghost wood that I want to use. They have been soaking for a week now, one sunk, the other nearly there. Tanins aren't as dark as some drift I use, however this tank is in the livingroom and I want the water clear. Husband is running out of patience as I am taking up part if the bathroom to soak them. Can I use Purigen to clear tannins while in the soak tub or does it need to be in a filter? If in a filter, since it supposedly absorbs nitrates and such, will it affect my plants negatively? My nitrates stick around 10ppm, partly because I also dose ferts twice a week as my plants are greedy. Otherwise it is closer to 5ppm.

Just changed the water in the tub, so it is very clear, I don't need it perfect but would like the avoid the watered down Coke shady of brown🤣. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
20220401_172648.jpg

If driftwood is causing yellow/ brown water that is upsetting hubby, take the wood out and do some big water changes. Leave the wood outside in a container of water until the wood no longer releases tannins. There is no way of telling how long wood will release tannins for and it can takes weeks or months depending on the wood. Change the water in the container a few times a week or mosquitoes might start laying eggs on it. If this happens you can feed the mozzie larvae to your fish.

Carbon can help reduce some tannins but the easiest way to reduce them is with big water changes.

No idea if purigen removes tannins.

That looks like a very minor amount of tannin. Looks like what I used to buy for bird cages. $4 for 24"..It's probably $4000 these days.
You could use carbon also to get rid of water tint using those pieces of wood.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back