Scientific Cycling Question

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
2,065
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
Leeds, United Kingdom
I have been keeping fish now for 4 years and have had 4 tanks so I know the basics of cycling etc etc

What I wondered was, whats the scientific explanation behind cycling?

Why does bacteria form to break down ammonia? then nitrite? etc

What I'm trying to say is, why doesnt the tank just sit there with ammonia in it?

Just curious, so if anybody is experienced enough to be able to explain the scientific reasons as to why a cycle takes place, I'd be interested

Andy
 
The nh3 doesn't just sit there because bacteria love it.

The bacteria that transfers nh3 into nitrite is nitrosomas, they live in dirty places like sewage and soil (that is why a properly cycled tank smells a bit like freshly turned earth), and on buildings.
The chap that tirns nitrite into nitrate is nitrospira (it used to be believed that nitrobacter does this, it doesn't in a properly established tank, yet nitrobacter is still in some instant cycle products). Interestingly Nitrospira was first discovered in 1995 in a moscow heating pipe!

So the reason this all happens is that nature cannot leave a handy food source alone!

doris
 
Its kinda natures form of bio-remediation, so that every chemical or substance that is produced naturally, will be eliminated and things will be back to how the were before

Bio-remediation is the brilliant new-ish area of biology in which they try to create that will aid in the elimination of manmade chemical.
Eg, a bacteria has been altered in the labs to eat oil, so in the case of an oil spill, the area of sea could be sprayed with these bacteria and so the sea could be put back to the way it was beofre
 
Thanks for the replies, I was interested as to exactly why a cycle took place and I have a clearer idea now.

Interesting thing to look into, I may search for some articles and have a good read lol

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top