Science People I Could Use Your Help Asap

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

atmmachine816

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have to write a three page pater on the Mitochondrial Eve Hypothesis and the Endosymbiont Hypothesis and was wondering if anybody could tell me what they are or any good sites with info on them. I don't know what they are because our teacher didn't tell us and I'm having hard time finding info on them because the site I'm supposed to use is down :/

Any help is greatly appreciated

Austin

Its not the right forum but the second ive no idea
the first is the first woman i believe that is the ancestor to all women. I think there were 5 originally and every woman can find a genetic link to one of them. Or something similar

I would try wikipedia as that seems to have good resources.

Well I'd never heard of this Mitochondrial Eve until now but after wiki-ing it I realise its about mitchondrial DNA (mtDNA). If you clue up on mtDNA which you can find information about from books and the internet, you should manage this ok.

I can try explain it a bit- When an embryo is formed, it inherits virtually all the mothers mitochodrial DNA, (the fathers is destroyed although I read a tiny little bit can be inherited), hence why matrilineage(only the mothers mothers etc) can be traced back generations. So I guess this is what the Mitochondrial Eve hypothesis is about. Basically we all came from an "Eve" but I don't believe in that Adam and Eve crap anyway.

So on to the Endosymbiont hypothesis. I have no idea what your knowledge of Biology if so sorry if you know this. Organisms can be split into Eukaryotes (which consist of cells with a nucleus e.g. animal plants and fungi) and Prokaryotes (e.g. bacteria).

Endosymbiosis is an organism living inside body/tissues/cells of another organism and the endosymbiont theory is about where orginally organelles in eukaryotes came from. As wiki will tell you, its the theory that mitchondria and plastids in plants originally came from prokaryotes which were incorporated into eukaryotes and stayed as a permanent fixture.

Its not the right forum but the second ive no idea
the first is the first woman i believe that is the ancestor to all women. I think there were 5 originally and every woman can find a genetic link to one of them. Or something similar

I would try wikipedia as that seems to have good resources.

Sorry -_- didn't know where to put it

Thanks for the info but I finished it tonight and am turning it in tomorrow. Wikipedia is great but you need to have three sources and wikipedia is hated by teachers. Teachers worst nightmare :eek:sama: they hate it, I found the stuff but thanks for the help.

atm

Wiki is definitely not something you should reference but sometimes a god send when you need something explained a bit easier. But then you get incorrect information sometimes.

I know wiki isnt that great and some of it is just downright wrong, but as a starting area to get other resources it can be useful.
Sorry I wasnt much help and at least you got it finished :)

I think we need a homework forum :nod:

I know this is a tad old, and youve already handed it in, but I concur,you shouldt reference Wiki, it just gives you a good basis on where to start, if its acurate. A tip ive picked up at Uni, if you dont know the meaning of a word, Google the following:

define: _________

Place the word you want to search where _______ is. Also make sure you use the : after define

ie: A search using the define: function for Endosymbiont gives you multiple definitions. This isnt an answer to your question either, but a great starting point, and you can get your mind around it first.

Well my comment is way old but I thought I would add anyway. I just finished reading Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life by Richard Dawkins and the third chapter titled "All Africa and Her Progenies" would have been a good resource. :nod:

Edit: spelling

Austin, for which school and year are this paper? I can't imagine us being set anything that vaguely resembled that in school, so I am thinking this must be beyond standard school but you don't sound like you are referring to a college teacher.

Tell me...I'm intrigued.

O sorry guys kinda forgot about this, It's for high school in 9th grade or in other words I'm 15 if that helps.

Hmm those suggestions help thanks, will try them out next time I have a project.

Black angel I think that's a good idea :good:

O I got a 46 out of 50 points on it, though my teacher won't tell me why he just says there was nothing wrong with the paper it just wasnt a "great" paper, it was only a "good paper", which he also said to a bunch of my other friends just to give a update on how I did

Gazoo, ya that would have been but it wasn't that big of a paper luckily. He didn't even talk about the topic in class, he's a little weird. :blink:

Austin, thanks for your reply, that's a mighty good score, well done!

I read it out to my husband (who is a Doctor of biochemistry with a specialization in genetic modification) and he says from the comments your teacher made, you must be a really promising student and your teachers has real high hopes for you.

Continue to work hard and do yourself proud, if you were my kid I'd buy you something very cool for getting a score like that.

O well thanks.

Hmm now that's interesting, I now have to do a paper on genetically modified foods, does he do anything with this? Or think there bad or good? That would be cool to know :good:

Sorry, not his field, though we eat it and it doesn't bother us.

It may turn out to be one of those things that seems like a good idea at first but 10 or 20 years, or maybe more, down the road, we might realize it was a mistake, Thalidomide seemed like a good idea at the time - the fact that a plant has been modified tends to make people go mad with the "interfering with nature" rant, but we interfere with nature all the time and you usually only find the extremists dislike that. I believe the most popular "against" argument, is that they will breed a strain of something that will get away from them and cause some sort of global catastrophe (think Martian Red Weed), however, it is usual to breed modified plants that are sterile and can not reproduce and reseed themselves.

Hmm now that's interesting, I now have to do a paper on genetically modified foods, does he do anything with this? Or think there bad or good? That would be cool to know :good:

Although there's a lot of rap for GM foods, I can't find a great deal of real issues with it other than '....well... it's not natural!'. Advantages include being able to create pest/disease resistant varieties (cutting down on use of harmful chemicals/the killing of creatures in the area that aren't pests), varieties resistant to herbicides (so weeds can be killed but not the crop), and engineering to create beneficial traits (such as the removal of the gene that makes tomatoes soft). Disadvantages are mainly potential health hazards (some people beleive GM food is harmful), potential for the genes to be transferred to other things (like weeds, so you get herbicide resistant weeds), occasionally costs, and suchlike. There's a lot on the net, it depends what angle you're taking and what examples you're planning on using.

Ya that's the way it seems, nobody really knows for sure what it is and like oohfeeshy said, it's not natural. I found some organic website and another site that I got most of my info from that gave a basic background on it, if you'd like I can post my paper on here if you want.

thanks for your opinions and help :good:

Most reactions

Back