Saying Hello

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EvB

Reaction score
I recently got back into aquarium keeping with three planted nano tanks in my office.   I have 2 five gallon tanks each with one betta and one assassin snail (though i'd like more, I'm not having a lot of luck with them!) and a 2.5 gallon with 8 baby red ramshorn snails (I will be getting a larger tank for them soon)

I hope to learn more about low-tech planted tanks, stubborn cycles (the littlest tank has nitrite levels that are just appalling - I call them 'goofy grape' - I do 60-80% changes and the grape color is back within 3 hours.  Ammonia is fine (between 0ppm and .25 ppm - the .25 is from my source water and chloramines-  and do have a bit of nitrate. Can't figure what GIVES. ) and assassin snails. 

welcomeani.gif
to TFF! Hope you enjoy it here.

It is very hard from all I've heard to keep a tank under 5g cycled, perhaps that is why you're having such issues.
Did you cycle the tank before adding the snails? What do you feed & how much/how often?

Hello and 
welcomeani.gif
!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

It IS hard, though not impossible.  Feeding the snails has been a random thing since they are new and I'm just learning what/how much they eat.  No doubt i did over feed them but I have not given them food for a couple of days now (there is a cabomba plant in there - they do snack on that
wink.png
)   They have, in the past, been given wilted chard in a veggie clip, an Omega One Veggie Round, and some homemade 'snail jello' (which was the definite over feed - need to make the pieces smaller) 

The cycle has begun and until this nitrite stall was behaving as expected.  

Welcome to the best fishy site :) lots of helpful topics for you regarding cycling too

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back