pnyklr3
Fish Addict
I am finally going to take the plunge and replace my not-so-natural looking gravel with sand (probably play sand or pool filter sand; not sure just yet) and I had a few questions about bacteria.
1. I won't risk a mini cycle if I replace my substrate, but then put the old stuff into a stocking in the tank, correct?
2. Should heavy/large decorations be placed on the sand, or should I put the decos in first, then the sand? My thought was, if I put the heavy stuff on the sand, then later pick it up for some reason or another, will there be a pocket that I have to worry about?
3. Should I look into eggcrate?
I plan on keeping the malaysian trumpet snails that I have in the tank. Will they burrow underneath decorations? Thanks!
......Hopefully this doesn't get too lost here in Chit-Chat!
1. I won't risk a mini cycle if I replace my substrate, but then put the old stuff into a stocking in the tank, correct?
2. Should heavy/large decorations be placed on the sand, or should I put the decos in first, then the sand? My thought was, if I put the heavy stuff on the sand, then later pick it up for some reason or another, will there be a pocket that I have to worry about?
3. Should I look into eggcrate?
I plan on keeping the malaysian trumpet snails that I have in the tank. Will they burrow underneath decorations? Thanks!
......Hopefully this doesn't get too lost here in Chit-Chat!

and I also have a 10 gallon puffer tank that could use any extra sand taht may come about. To tell you the truth, I forget the "rule of thumb" for gravel in a tank. Was is 1 pound per gallon, or 1 pound per 2 gallons....or am I completely off!?!
I can handle large bags of dog food, bags of salt, and fourth graders, so I think I'll be alright in that respect. I have a small bag of aquarium sand that I can add to the 10 gallon if the 50 lb bag doesn't go far enough. Thanks for all of your info!
) ) half the old tank water and rinsed out the sponge in the old stuff. Would all of my decorations and plants (mostly plastic) and the filter media have enough bacteria to effectively seed my sand without causing any problems? I have been very fortunate to never lose a fish to cycling problems. (My first attempt at my 55 gallon was before I found this site, and fishless cycling, and I think the only reason they all survived was that it was SEVERELY understocked. And I never had a lot of money to buy fish all at once. Second attempt was a 10 gallon. The filter was run on my 55 gallon, and I seeded the tank with some gravel....no problems!)






