Sand Or Gravel

tom_os

fish
Joined
Dec 28, 2008
Messages
1,483
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Devon, England
currently i have gravel in my 60l tank but i am thinking about changing to sand as i have seen some really nice tanks with sand in, also i have corys which i kno prefer sand.

can anyone tell me wether this is a good choice or is sand harder to maintain or something?

also i have plants in my tank and i find even when i turn the air pump on they can come loose and float to the top, i have only had them a week so they havnt rooted properly yet, is sand any easier to keep plants in?

thanks
 
yeah i think it looks awsome.

but i know it can be a bit harder to clean but i think it is worth the effort
 
Sand can be a pain to clean and the dirt does show more than on gravel but I still prefer it, if I am honest. My plants seem to like it too although until they do root they can float at times too.
 
yeah, well when i get plants they some with a little metal band around them, i have tanken it off but i might put it back on, at least till they root.

when i change shall i just give the sand a really good wash and scoop up as much gravel as i can then just pour the sand in as i have no other tank to put my fish into?
 
Don't expect your corys to clean the sand, mine don't lol.
Like Truck said put your fish into a bucket it will not stress them as much as if you leave them in and take your filter out too while adding the sand so it doesn't clog up.
 
ok thanks.

well i know corys prefer the smoother sand as at the moment my gravel is quite rough and i dont imagine they like lying on sharp edges
 
I brought gravel for my Tank then before setting it up changed it to sand at the last second DAM glad I did :thumbs:
 
I had salt water system for close to a year and let me tell you sand can be a hassle. I have had gravel for about 2 months I spent 20$ on a gravel vack and it been a cake walk so fare.
 
as i said earlier, sand is under-rated, i dont know how people find it hard to clean, if you have a power head and can set it so it skims the sand all the debris is kicked up, and filtered
 

Most reactions

Back
Top