Sand is in the tank...but how deep can I go? Advice appreciated!

MammaBearinTN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Footprint of tank is 36" x 12", and will be planted, but nothing elaborate.

I would like the sand to be a bit higher in the back and slope down to the front, and I'm going to have a somewhat open area in the tank middle front where I am hoping my corys will congregate. Ok, so I'm going by the adage, "if you build it, they will come." :)

I do like the look of a deeper substrate, but I don't want to cause problems since I'm using sand for my corys.

Help, please!

Reactions: 663
If you have corys, you can pretty much give up the dream of a sloped sand.. :lol:

I have around 2 inches in my 20g long and 29g tank (both of which have corys). If you don't want to have live plants, not need to get it that thick.

About 3 inches is max for sand. If you have more and food or dirt gets stuck under it, the area where the food is becomes anaerobic and turns black. Anaerobic areas usually occur in sand that is 4 inches or more deep, but can occur in sand that is 1 inch deep. It's a good idea to stir the sand up to help prevent anaerobic pockets developing.

As mentioned by Phoenix, Cories will ruin any slopes you create in the tank. If you want different levels, make terraces or use pots.

Thanks, Colin and Phoenix. I prefer small pebbles, but I'm using sand precisely because I want to provide the best environment for my corys. Are they going to dig up my plants?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back