Salvinia

maurizio

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Should I eventually get rid of the few remnants of my struggling hornwort, I'd consider some light-cutting floating plants. Did anybody ever tried Salvinia Natans or similar plants in low-end brackish?

Thanks!

Should I eventually get rid of the few remnants of my struggling hornwort, I'd consider some light-cutting floating plants. Did anybody ever tried Salvinia Natans or similar plants in low-end brackish?

Thanks!

Hornwort was always tempermental for me but Water Sprite does well if kept no higher than SG1.003 at 25DegC. I haven't attempted Salvinia Natans

I have Salvinia and it grows really fast and covers the tank well. The leaves will stay small under a low light but I recently upped my lighting from 15w to 2x24w and the leaves are now growing much bigger which is nice. The only negative is that you will be pulling handfuls out on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and the small bits that die off do a nice job of clogging the filter :crazy:

Fish love the stuff, bought mine right up to the surface swimming when before they tended to stay lower. :good:

I have Salvinia and it grows really fast and covers the tank well. The leaves will stay small under a low light but I recently upped my lighting from 15w to 2x24w and the leaves are now growing much bigger which is nice. The only negative is that you will be pulling handfuls out on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and the small bits that die off do a nice job of clogging the filter :crazy:

Fish love the stuff, bought mine right up to the surface swimming when before they tended to stay lower. :good:

Thanks Dazzer,
that's a good piece of info. What's your SG @25C?
Please define "small" and "much bigger": what I saw in the shop has the size of few cm, which would be great for me. But if they are really small, then the weekly cleaning procedure would discourage me... I have 2x38 W, but in a 120x40 cm tank.

salvinia will do ok in low SG, 1.003sg i would say is the max though. It is only somewhat salt tolerant, but givin the right conditions it does spread like a weed. However, the salty water will most likely slow down its growth.

Most reactions

Back