Salt Uses In Freshwater Aquariums

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I actually got instructions with my Purigen pack to use non iodized salt. That’s how I knew to use it. :) Thank you for pointing out the plants. I added to above.

According to Seachem: Seachem Purigen
Regeneration
Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

According to Seachem: Seachem Purigen
Regeneration
Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime®, or equivalent dechlorinator per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoons of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.
Oh, goodness. (Sigh). I can only tell you what instructions were when I got mine. Probably several years ago. It worked though and makes perfect sense that it would since salt is a disinfectant. However, to make you happy, I will revise the post.

Last edited:
It's likely that Seachem revised the instructions a few years ago because bleach/water worked much better than salt/water and gave the product a much longer use life.

What about using aquarium salt with live bearers like black mollies, etc? I've read they need a little salt or they will die. When I had live bearers they died quickly without any salt, but with a little salt, they do very well.

Livebearers need water with a GH of 200ppm for guppies, platies & swordtails, and a GH of 250ppm for mollies. If the GH is not high enough then salt can be used as an emergency measure to help them until the GH is increased.

They don’t need salt as they are freshwater fish. I don’t use it with my livebearers. Salt should be used in emergent situations only.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back