Sag. Subulata

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've just received a shipment of plants from Java and I'm a little confused. The Sag. Subulata I have received do not look anything like the ones I have in my tank.

Is this because:

1/ The plants have been grown imersed and will change leaf shape once in my tank and settled.
2/ This plant has naturally variable leaf form.
3/ I've been sent the wrong plants.
4/ The plant in my tank isn't what I think it is.

The ones in my tank have dark green thin (2-3mm) leaves whilst the ones in the delivery are wide (5-8mm) and light green.

Thoughts please!

Sorry, no photos, I'm in work!

WK

Sounds like you have echinodorus tennellus in your tank as opposed to sagittaria, but I'm still a n00b at this so don't take my word for granted - can you google image e tennellus to give you an idea of comparison? Any chance of a pic?

knowing java its probably not the plant you wanted, and if it is e tennelus its probably not real e tennelus.

I already have E. Tellenus so I know it's not that!

I've ordered from Java before with no problems but this time I'm not so impressed. The plants look quite tired.

WK

Java I find are awful, as are plants alive with both I've been sent the wrong plants and with melted plants in there.

If it's not e tennelus its not to say that it isn't a Echinodorus plant, like said before, post a picture.

Greenline aren't much better - got some E. quadricostatus from them in a bag that was labelled (and meant to be) E. tenellus. When you're starting out, it makes things much harder when the plants you think you have picked are not what you receive and the differences, for the inexperienced at least, aren't altogether evident.

It is emerged Dwarf saggs. If you grow it out of water dwarf sagg's leaf looks like a fat blade.

That's what I expected. I like the thinner 'blade' look of the stuff I have in my tank right now so hope the new plants will adjust over time.

Thanks for the replies.

Most reactions

Back