saddled Bichir just ate another fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cristina102123

Reaction score
I had an ornate bichir before this one and it would normally only eat fishes that were sick or dead before it entered its mouth. There would be the occasional disappearance of a tetra. The ornate bichir was around 10 inches and died. When I got this baby saddled bichir I thought I should find better tankmates. I bought other cichlids and didn't ever think that the baby bichir could fit it in its mouth. I have tiny Oscars,Severums and African cichlids. They are all-around 2-3 inches. Ever since I got this baby bichir it has eaten one fish for sure cause when I pass by the tank he had it in its mouth. I was able to remove the fish still alive. I feed the fish thinking it was just hungry but when I came back home it had the same fish in its mouth but this time head first and this time it was dead. I'm not sure what to do, these cichlids should get along with it since they're semi-aggressive just like the bichir. I don't want it to eat all my other fishes but I also don't want to get rid of it. Not sure what to do, does anyone have any suggestions.

They are a predatory fish, and need a lot of room. Tank mates should not fit in their mouth. What size tank is this, and what are your water parameters? The stocking is mostly incompatible.

I just got my water checked the parameters are good, should I remove all other tankmates and start from zero. The tank is 60 gallons and the bichir is 3 inches

They are a predatory fish, and need a lot of room. Tank mates should not fit in their mouth. What size tank is this, and what are your water parameters? The stocking is mostly incompatible.
I just got my water checked the parameters are good, should I remove all other tankmates and start from zero. The tank is 60 gallons and the bichir is 3 inches

That's not enough space for any of the fish you named. Actually some African Cichlids would be fine, but they cannot be kept with severums and oscars. For the fish you have you should really shoot for a 150+ gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back