Sad or inactive upside down catfish, also being bullied

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought an upside down cat around 4 weeks ago and had problems with not coming out for food, and hiding in the same spot in the cave, was told to get another to cheer it up, I did and they're both inactive, so again a 3rd and nothing, they're all extremely scared and do not like being in the tank at all, they're the biggest in the tank yet get bullied by all my other usually peaceful fish.
I did have a large cave where they wedged themselves into and stay, however they're just not eating and have shrunk massively since I bought them. I've removed the cave to try and get them to eat a bit of food and no luck they just want to get into the smallest gaps and hide.. I know they're a nocturnal fish but nothing changes even in the dark. Am I just going to have to put the cave back in and let them starve to death? Or keep the cave out, there are other hiding places, I've tried flake foods sinking pellets algea wafers, live brine shrimp, protien food.. I don't really want to put any more in due to stocking issues and it not solving the problem

This is a shoaling species, so it needs a group, but three or four can be adequate so now that you have three it may get a bit more "active." However, it is very nocturnal. Floating plants that provide shade might entice them out.

Water parameters seem OK (assume the GH 13 is 13dGH rather than 13 ppm, though that would not matter).

In nature this fish feeds primarily on insects and insect larvae (especially mosquito) at the surface of the water, along with crustaceans and plant matter; they may graze on algae to supplement their diet. In the aquarium they accept most prepared foods, but unlike other catfish, this one feeds from the surface and also grazes the underside of wood and plant leaves. Fresh vegetables such as shelled peas, yams, squash; live and frozen shrimp, worms. Floating foods are therefore necessary; sinking foods might be ignored. Feed at night, well after the tank light is out, and it might help to feed after the room has been in darkness for an hour or more. Bug bites should be an ideal food.

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/synodontis-nigriventris/

Yes 13 dgh
I do have a pack of catappa leaves would these be a good idea?
I may try live food again whilst they are out of the cave

Yes 13 dgh
I do have a pack of catappa leaves would these be a good idea?
I may try live food again whilst they are out of the cave

Dried leaves once waterlogged produce infusoria, and most fish will graze these for food, so can't hurt.

I missed the bullying issue previously, sorry...what fish exactly and how are they bullying the catfish?

OK I'll whack a few in.
One of My two bristlenose catfish have a go, I have a few black widow tetras who are usually very peaceful considering there reputation who have had a chase or two. And I know this shouldn't be in the tank because of my pH but I rescued him from my friend's tank but it is a tropheus duboisi, again for its background usually mind's his own business and relatively peaceful. But not towards the cats, nibbles the tail, looks like it headbutts, and just cornering them.

OK I'll whack a few in.
One of My two bristlenose catfish have a go, I have a few black widow tetras who are usually very peaceful considering there reputation who have had a chase or two. And I know this shouldn't be in the tank because of my pH but I rescued him from my friend's tank but it is a tropheus duboisi, again for its background usually mind's his own business and relatively peaceful. But not towards the cats, nibbles the tail, looks like it headbutts, and just cornering them.

Sorry I missed this previously...you have a serious issue here that must be quickly dealt with. Remove the upside down catfish; or remove the Tropheus duboise and the Black Tetras, these really cannot be together. The Black Widow are aggressive fish also, noted for fin nipping sedate fish, so that might be a problem that will become worse. But even with just "thinking" these things it can be extremely stressful to the fish.

Fish release chemical signals called pheromones (read by others in the species) and allomones (read by other species). One reason we do large water changes is to remove these, as there is no other way to remove them. But if a fish like the cichlid or the tetrras are sending out aggressive signals as allomones, this can quite literally kill the fish targeted even without any physical interaction. The fact that the latter is also occurring is a death knell to the upside down cats. I'm not surprised they are not eating, they are very sensitive quiet fish.

Oh wow, never would have known that, is this release of chemical toxic then?

Thing is I don't have a spare tank I am going to have to try take them back to the shop :/ unlikely. I'll try find a new home

Oh and bug bites sink like a stone - I don't know what else to feed them. Poor little fellows. At least pick up a 10 gallon tank and get them in there ASAP, use the water from their existing tank and Tetra Safe to get the bio levels up fast. They'll love the cave and lots of vegetation.

Oh wow, never would have known that, is this release of chemical toxic then?

Fish communicate visually but also with these "chemical signals." They are not toxic in themselves; they are like verbal communication among humans, or the animals that can communicate vocally like whales, birds, and so many others. Fish use them to initiate spawning, to warn of danger, to express dominance and submission...in other words, to communicate with one another.

Biology Online defines pheromones thus:

chemical substances which, when secreted by an individual into the environment, cause specific reactions in other individuals, usually of the same species. The substances relate only to multicellular organisms. This includes kairomones [these are flower scents used to attract another species]. Allomones are repellent pheromones.​

Allomones they define thus:

a pheromone that induces a behavioural or physiologic change in a member of another species that is of benefit to the producer.​

I've only managed to find one potential home for the catfish out of everyone I know with a tank... The shops won't take them as a donation either.. , however this tank I'm not sure it's going to be better or worse.
Its only an 80 litre and mine is 120 litre, he has 2 mollys, 5 cloud minnows, a bristlenose catfish and a rainbow shark. He claims the rainbow shark is peaceful (but then so was my tropheus untill they came)

Rainbow sharks are rarely peaceful, just like bettas. Some can cope with other fish, others can’t.

This is a quote from SeriouslyFish: Other bottom-dwelling fishes including cichlids and most catfish are best avoided as they may too be picked on. For the upper levels choose robust, active, schooling cyprinids. Ideally the Epalzeorhynchos should be the final addition to the tank in order to avoid it claiming ownership of the entire space.

It says catfish are best avoided in the tank. I just wanted you to know that before making a decision.

(Website: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/epalzeorhynchos-frenatum/)

Update, upsidedown cats are in a friend of mines new home and are loving it, also sent me a video of them eating :drink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back