Sad Day....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

EMdina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My female Ram died this morning.
After I had taken the eggs she and the male had layed, out from the tank, the male wouldn't stop chasing her. I eventually took the male out and switched him with the other male I had in a seperate tank. The new male seemed to get along with her for a little while- at one point I even thought they were going to spawn- but something changed and he started attacking her also. I went and bought another female and a Gold Ram female- hoping to take the 'focus' off of the mom...but to no avail...yesterday she seemed to be huffin and puffin a lot- and I noticed some damage...I was affraid that I would wake up to find her dead and that is exactly what happened. I am so bummed out...
Her babies are at 2 1/2 weeks now- I hope they make it...
Ericka

Awww...! :no: :(

I'm sorry for your loss, losing fish is horrible at the best of times and rams are such nice little fishies too..! :sad:

I'll keep my figers crossed for your babies though, let us know how they get on! :) :nod:

First,
I am sorry ti hear off your loss.

Next,

The reason this happened is the pair bond broke down. This happens quite often when eggs/fry are pulled from the parents.

One or the other parent literally "blames" the other for the disappearance of the brood and begins an all out assault on the thought to be culprit.

Next time to help ensure this does not happen, try leaving the eggs with the parents to hatch. Let the parents raise them up for a 4-6 weeks and then pull only 90% of the fry out.

By leaving some of the fry in, you will not risk a breakdown of the pair bond.

Good luck!!

One or the other parent literally "blames" the other for the disappearance of the brood and begins an all out assault on the thought to be culprit.

Next time to help ensure this does not happen, try leaving the eggs with the parents to hatch. Let the parents raise them up for a 4-6 weeks and then pull only 90% of the fry out

You could tell the male 'blamed' her...he kept looking around the spot where I took out the rock (where the eggs were)...he wouldn't leave...any time the female came near, he would charge her...he seemed to ease up a little for a day or so but then went at her continuously...that is when I switched him for another male that I had in another tank...the new male seemed to get along with her pretty well at first....but then it was the same thing with him...

I pulled the eggs this time because they had eaten them the first time...and it was suggested to me by a lfs owner to pull just the eggs...live and learn, I guess...positive side is I have 20 fry- negative side is I lost my best little fishy...next time I will just leave the eggs and let nature take it's course...plus, raising fry is some hard work...I have enjoyed it thoroughly and my kids are getting a kick out of it- but next time I will leave it up to the parents...

Thanks...
Ericka

i heard they eat the eggs if they feel that the fries wouldnt have a gd chance. but that's only what i saw in other's pages and i myself had not had any luck with rams

Most reactions

Back