Sa Cichlids Or African Cichlids?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Alexander

Reaction score
I've been interested in and have been deeply doing a ton of research on African Cichlids. I especially love the Yellow Electric Lab. I think it has been noted on other information websites that the African Cichlid species go well with the Pictus and the SMC's. Please correct me if I am wrong. I love the REGULAR non-hybrid Cichlids as I am permanently done with the BP's. I'd love to have some mid to top swimming Cichlids.

Here is my current stock on my 75 Gallon:

2 - pictus catfish
2 - Synodontis Multipunctatus Catfish. (Not sure if that is spelled correctly).
3 - Yo-Yo loaches
2 - Albino Bristle Nose pleco's (still small juveniles at this point).

Any help, suggestions and such are appreciated!

P.S. I am new to the forum, btw! :)

Is it South American Cichlids you want to mix with African, or do you want S.A. suggestions to replace the Africans?
If it's the former, it probably won't work I'm afraid.

Whichever specific kind I can have that will go well with my current stock. I have never had regular (non-hybrid) cichlids, so I'm needing some good advice on it. I've heard some conflicting readings on information sites, etc.

I'd like to have some Electric Yellow Labs especially, but I don't want to put any in the tank unless they're a good match for what I have already. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm afraid I'm not a keeper of your current stocking, so cannot advise how compatable they are with Yellow Labs, I can tell you though that Labs are from Lake Malawi, beautiful fish, but I wouldn't mix them with South Americans, water parameters, behaviour, requirements, 'body' language all different.

Hi :) sounds good I would go for Americans if you want a bit of flexability with your other fish. Though I would avoid dwarfs as small dwarfs may be prey for pictus.

Things like Blue Acaras would be good as would Firemouths - Sajicas, Rainbow Cichlids. Or if you wanted a group of cichlids try a group of Cupid Cichlids. Since this is a good size Severums might be an option but perhaps go for a Rotkiel rather than a Green/Gold.

Some of the riverine African cichlids would work - most obvious ones are Kribs and African Butterfly Cichlids - some rarer krib esc species are around so would work as well :) Block Heads could be an option.

Wills :)

Thanks for the options, Wills. Never heard of the Cupid Cichlids or the Sajicas... I'll look into those. So many options! lol

Yellow labs go very well with American Cichlids, i had a breeding colony for 6 years with diff American Cichlids, my friend currently has the same, labs are mild temperament and will breed in neutral water also they eat protein unlike most mbuna, the only thing is they look a bit odd in a American community tank.

It's weird .... I have heard conflicting answers concerning mixing both species American and African. I think that would be a really cool setup in a 75 Gallon.

Yellow labs go very well with American Cichlids, i had a breeding colony for 6 years with diff American Cichlids, my friend currently has the same, labs are mild temperament and will breed in neutral water also they eat protein unlike most mbuna, the only thing is they look a bit odd in a American community tank.

While it has worked in a few cases I wouldnt reccomend it.... mega risky IMO and no offense but I think a large proportion of your success is luck...

Wills

Wills - I couldn't agree more with the luck scenario. I have been told to not have Glofish with Sailfins, and that worked. I've been told not to have more than 3 BP's in with the catfish, but that worked. You never know!

You kind of do know in this situation... Its reasonably clean cut IMO

So facts.... Africans do best in high ph and South Americans do best in low ph - BUT Centrals do best in neutral ph and high ph. There is probably a cross over point here.

So on that principle Centrals probably can mix. But you have to rule out Souths as the cross point is off and the next point will clear it up.

BUT we are not finished yet!

Jaw structures - I dont know enough about Africans to comment but even within South and Central American Cichlids the difference is astonishing - look at a Jaguar compared to a Geophagus... or a Pike Cichlid compared to a Blue Acara - put in a whole new level of strength (or lack of!!) and it makes for a pretty iffy situation.

There is a reason why people rarely mix them - and its also a reason why the people who do mix them - often have more than one tank OR change their tank frequently.

With cichlids its always a risk - always, always, always. Why make it worse when you make the odds less and less. It always sucks when you get a prize fish and then something happens to them.

Choose a continent and stick to it. Tons of choice either way and there are tons of people around to help you get the most out of it. If you want a unique tank lets go for it, if you want tons of colour lets go for it. No reason to mix these fish and put them at risk from each other.

Wills

You kind of do know in this situation... Its reasonably clean cut IMO

So facts.... Africans do best in high ph and South Americans do best in low ph - BUT Centrals do best in neutral ph and high ph. There is probably a cross over point here.

So on that principle Centrals probably can mix. But you have to rule out Souths as the cross point is off and the next point will clear it up.

BUT we are not finished yet!

Jaw structures - I dont know enough about Africans to comment but even within South and Central American Cichlids the difference is astonishing - look at a Jaguar compared to a Geophagus... or a Pike Cichlid compared to a Blue Acara - put in a whole new level of strength (or lack of!!) and it makes for a pretty iffy situation.

There is a reason why people rarely mix them - and its also a reason why the people who do mix them - often have more than one tank OR change their tank frequently.

With cichlids its always a risk - always, always, always. Why make it worse when you make the odds less and less. It always sucks when you get a prize fish and then something happens to them.

Choose a continent and stick to it. Tons of choice either way and there are tons of people around to help you get the most out of it. If you want a unique tank lets go for it, if you want tons of colour lets go for it. No reason to mix these fish and put them at risk from each other.

Wills

Great reply/advice.

While it has worked in a few cases I wouldnt reccomend it.... mega risky IMO and no offense but I think a large proportion of your success is luck...

Wills

Its not luck at all, Labs are peaceful, loads of pewople do it on MFK and i know 2 other people in real life who are doing it, dont believe everything you read.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back