Rummynose swimming strangely

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
sigh..... did you test quality?
Yes..
Ammonia: 0.1ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
but it doesn't matter now, the snails were eating the fish alive, so I decided to use the pithing method to put the fish out of it's misery(it was so hard to do, but better than letting the fish die slowly).

I do really appreciate that you have a passion for fish keeping and are trying you best. I also gather that you are maybe on the younger side so it's great that you have this interest and are doing a good job by researching and trying to learn.

However this fish loss could well have been prevented. You are putting one of the most sensitive freshwater fish you can get into a tank that is not properly cycled.

This is what happens with fish keeping when you try and take short cuts or move things too fast.

Please dont take this as me moaning at you. I really want you to keep posting here as there is some amazing knowledge and expertise held by the members of this forum and you could learn so much from them. Just try and slow things down.

Last edited:
Ok. I will try to go a bit slower, I will not be getting anymore fish until my 55g is setup.
Got my 40 stems of hydrilla!
It looks a bit black, but this is how my other hydrilla looked like when I first got it. It will recover.
stems of hydrilla.jpeg

Will give it a week, then see the growth. I think it's looking great so far!

Ok. I will try to go a bit slower, I will not be getting anymore fish until my 55g is setup.
I apologise for my "sigh" earlier, this is what I was sighing about.

And yes, so far it is looking great. Patience is the most important thing when starting a tank, but about the most difficult thing for all of us I think. I haven't given in to multiple tanks as yet, but if I do I'm hoping people are telling the truth about speeding up cycles with sharing filter between the tanks.

And yes, so far it is looking great. Patience is the most important thing when starting a tank, but about the most difficult thing for all of us I think. I haven't given in to multiple tanks as yet, but if I do I'm hoping people are telling the truth about speeding up cycles with sharing filter between the tanks.
"Speeding up cycles"!
Go wash your mouth out, you heretic, you! 😂

Patience in fishkeeping.....yep....you suddenly discover that you will have way more patience than you ever thought possible to have....the downside is that you often end up with no fingernails, grey hair (or bald patches if a bloke) and wrinkles :D

And yes, so far it is looking great. Patience is the most important thing when starting a tank, but about the most difficult thing for all of us I think.
That's one of the many reasons why I like planted tanks so much. I get the plants all setup up, watch as they grow in, maybe rearrange things an switch bits around.

Keeps me busy during the initial start up process and by the time the tank is grown out I can run through "cycling" it super quick. Mostly because I'm not actually really cycling it, just checking that my plants can take care of things.

Its a much slower way of doing things but it is super stable and means the tank is about as good as its going to get by the time I put fish in. I kind of enjoy the process as well and planting/growing out a new tank is a lot easier with no fish to worry about.

As far as I'm concerned once the fish are in most of the fun part is finished and its just maintenance from that point on, so why rush it.

I was going to get one rummynose tetra so that they could have at least 1 new friend. but my mom said not to waste money and get 3.

When acquiring a shoaling fish that needs a group, always acquire the entire intended group together at the same time. The fish will settle in much faster if you do, and with species that are hierarchial or slightly aggressive (not rummys) it prevents a lot of problems with that.

found the fish like this this morning. I think it's swim bladder disease.

"Swim bladder" as a disease is almost never encountered. The issue is what causes the fish to be unable to swim, and this can be internal protozoan, injury in netting, stress, almost any disease. This is just a symptom, not the cause.

I expect this fish was harmed when being caught, something that seems especially pertinent with this species due to its sensitivity. I have seen this with fish I have moved from one tank to another, if the fish happens to get caught between the glass and the fish net.

When acquiring a shoaling fish that needs a group, always acquire the entire intended group together at the same time. The fish will settle in much faster if you do, and with species that are hierarchial or slightly aggressive (not rummys) it prevents a lot of problems with that.
I had 3 in my tank at home already. so now I have 5.

I had 3 in my tank at home already. so now I have 5.

That's fine, but this species should have 12 minimum...I thought you were setting up another tank for them and were going to acquire the group then? May be getting you mixed up with someone else, there have been a couple rummynose threads recently.

That's fine, but this species should have 12 minimum...I thought you were setting up another tank for them and were going to acquire the group then? May be getting you mixed up with someone else, there have been a couple rummynose threads recently.
Yes. I am setting up another tank for them, my 55g. Will wait a week for the plants to grow a bit, then put the fish in there and get 14 rummynoses altogether.

The fish in the picture looks like it has an infection, which it would have had before you got it.

Don't get anymore fish for a month. Let the tank settle down. When you do get new fish, do a water change a few days before you get them. Try to buy them on the day before the shop does their water change. Rummynose are sensitive to changes in water chemistry (pH, GH & KH) and can die if they get a water change and then caught, bagged up and put in another tank all on the same day. They can even die if these things happen over a couple of days. So try not to buy them if the shop has done a water change during the last 5 days.

Don't buy them if the fish have only been in the shop tank for 1 week. Wait until they have been in the shop tank for a couple of weeks.

Do a water change on your tank a few days before you get them.
Don't do another water change for at least 1 week after you get them and see how they deal with that water change. A small 20-30% water change each week is better during the first month you have them.

Add some floating plants to reduce the light glaring down onto them and back up from the white substrate.

If any of the fish in the tank look odd or unwell, don't get any. Wait another week and see how they look.

If the shop assistant chases the fish all over the tank and has trouble catching the fish, tell them not to worry and come back another day.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back