Rummynose swimming strangely

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Yesterday, my mum brought me to the lfs, I wanted to get a sponge filter for the 55g and a piece of driftwood, also one rummynose tetra. However my mum said no to one rummynose tetra and got three instead(buy 2 free 1).
I got 2 medium sized and one large. Now the tetra that was thin and tattered has started schooling, but the largest tetra is swimming weirdly, won't school, sits in a corner and is not active.
the part where most of the fish are transparent(above the middle) it's grey for this guy.
fat rummynose.JPEG

non active tetra.JPEG

rummynoses.JPEG

5 schooling in the middle of the pic. he is in the right corner, hiding amongst the hydrilla.
Is it swim bladder disease?

I would not be overly concerned immediately.

New fish usually take a few days or longer to figure out where they are, if they are safe, are there any predators that they need to worry about. I would be inclined to give the fish time to settle into the new surroundings and gain confidence before starting to diagnose any potential illness.

This species (Petitella bleheri, formerly Hemigrammus bleheri) is very sensitive to water parameters and conditions. They frequently have adverse reactions to netting and a new environment. The fish itself may be injured or not, or just stressed. Leave it alone, don't do anything to increase stress (like getting it to swim as some do). It will or won't improve.

How many of this species do you have?

This species (Petitella bleheri, formerly Hemigrammus bleheri) is very sensitive to water parameters and conditions. They frequently have adverse reactions to netting and a new environment. The fish itself may be injured or not, or just stressed. Leave it alone, don't do anything to increase stress (like getting it to swim as some do). It will or won't improve.

How many of this species do you have?

I was going to get one rummynose tetra so that they could have at least 1 new friend. but my mom said not to waste money and get 3.
Thing is, it is you that is gaining the Fish Knowledge, not your Mom and if the fish die, then not only is money wasted, but fish have died. Whilst I'm sure your Mom's heart is in the right place, she will be quite ignorant about fish and fish care...that's all down to you, with the Fish Knowledge. ;)

I did do some aquascaping on my 55g.
View attachment 144219
a bunch of hydrlla should be arriving today(40 stems).
Looks promising
Think about future cleaning. If the substrate formed a slight slope, from a high at the back, to a low at the front, any waste should naturally flow downhill and be easier to suck up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back