Root Tabs In 100% Gravel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DanielG

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi plant experts, i have a gravel substrate and want to have a planted aquarium, i dont really like the look of sand as a substrate (controversial!!).

I understand that plants can struggle in 100% gravel substrates and wondered if this could be remedied by using root tabs and ferts?

I know that adding root tabs over and again can be expensive but will it work? Or is the problem with gravel that the plants struggle to root in it? If so do you think i should add a different substrate under the gravel?

Thanks

You could give Tetraplant Complete a try. I believe you layer it at about 2cm deep then top with 4 or 5 cm of fine gravel (1 - 3mm size). I use pea gravel ontop of tetra in my tank :)

You could give Tetraplant Complete a try. I believe you layer it at about 2cm deep then top with 4 or 5 cm of fine gravel (1 - 3mm size). I use pea gravel ontop of tetra in my tank :)

Hi thanks for the help, my gravel is slightly larger than 1-3mm do you see this causing a problem even if i use Tetraplant Complete, do you think i should change it?

Hi plant experts, i have a gravel substrate and want to have a planted aquarium, i dont really like the look of sand as a substrate (controversial!!).

That`s not controversial at all. Sand can be used just as easily as gravel, but if you don`t like it.....well it is your tank.

I understand that plants can struggle in 100% gravel substrates and wondered if this could be remedied by using root tabs and ferts?

It is possible to run a successful planted tank with an inert substrate. Provided you fertilise the water column, plants will get all the nutrients they require. Look up companies such as Seachem and Tropica for ferts.

I know that adding root tabs over and again can be expensive but will it work? Or is the problem with gravel that the plants struggle to root in it? If so do you think i should add a different substrate under the gravel?

If you like your gravel, then changing it is an unnecessary hassle IMO.

Dave.

Ive been running my tank with pea gravel 3mm size for a couple of months. Its well planted . Took advice from a few people and started estimative dosing and CO2 injection. And I'm happy to say the plants are growing like crazy. Got some bacopa, java fern ,moss balls , elodea, etc.

Yes I wouldnt bother with changing the gravel unless the were too big that the plant roots couldnt get a hold. In my opinion around 3mm should be fine. Just remember to fertilize the water column and add Co2.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back