🐠 TOTM Rocky998 - August Tank of the Month Winner (31 gal & larger)

Kia Ora. See you read my thread on composition and our natural inclination to see things, I'm glad you liked it,
Yah!! As someone into photography myself, I really enjoyed your write-up! It was enjoyable and very informative!!
because I'd just looked at your TOTM and thought this guy has hit all the marks.
Oh wow! Thank you!! 😁 That really means a lot!
I don't know if you're trained or have a natural eye but that tank you entered was/is excellent on so many levels.
Maybe a bit of my tism and O.C.D help me with it, idk 🙃🤣
I'm only 17 and I've only been in the hobby for about 3 years... My last tank wasn't that spectacular lol. It was a 20g high and I didn't like the look at all.
When I upgraded, I really put all my knowledge into scaping this tank, even getting some advice from members here...
I regret some decisions I made in shaping it but overall I do like the way it turned out!

My mom has said I have a natural eye for design... I've always loved putting things into specific orders and designs. Just always been a me thing lol.
Not too over-planted as it wouldn't be in a river side flood plain type aqua scape, I also like that you used rounded boulders stacked against the wood, I see so many using all types of angular stone, and I've been in the Congo during the Rainey season and the speed of the water just rolls those rocks against each other so hard its like a stone polishing machine.... so you mainly get boulders.
Yah, I definitely didn't want the front to be covered in plants as I felt like the fish wouldnt be visible as much, so I wanted to give some space in the front for them to free swim and then the sides and back are hiding places and cover spots.
I love these rocks! The color, the texture, and the size... And when stacked, it gives PERFECT caves for the gudgeons!
I know you are obviously well experienced so don't want to teach someone to suck eggs,
I will take any advice given! But thank you so much for thinking I'm well experienced!
but a great little slice of river or stream. I think that you deserve extra kudos because it can be such a hard environment to replicate. I felt I was back in the Jungle looking at something real.
Many overplant.
I'm so happy to hear that!!
I was going for a jungle-like river set up so that means so much!! Thank you!!
If you ever do add tannins with leaves and mulch I'd love to see the effect?
Absolutely! I'll definitely tag you if I ever do that!
I hope you don't mind me asking and maybe learning something but what is your lighting set up for this tank? I've been in the jungle training and on active duty and the canopy just reduces the light so much... you can't see a thing... landmarks.. sun.. if you can navigate in the jungle you can navigate anywhere!
I use a hygger 24/7 sunrise/sunset aquarium light. It's only 24" long but lights the tank up perfectly... Although I am thinking of upgrading the light...
But sorry I've waffled on I do that its PTSD.
No need to apologize!
What's your next project? Do you have something in mind?
I live with my parents sense I'm only a teen and I have the max size tank my parents will allow, so I probably won't have a new project for some time...
I have thought about doing a natural betta scape... (@betta4ever! has inspired me to do this in the future)
I'd absolutely love to do a larger tank with discus and corydoras sometime...
Maybe so some Zebra pike Cichlids or even setting up a North American River tank... That would be awesome! (Wayyy out into the future though lol)
A Myanmar, Australian, and Amazon biotopes are also on the list of possibilities for far into the future...
So many fish I would love to keep!!
Venturing into saltwater would be a huge step as well...
Kia Kaha. Phil.
I always wonder when you say that... What does it mean?

Yah!! As someone into photography myself, I really enjoyed your write-up! It was enjoyable and very informative!!

Oh wow! Thank you!! 😁 That really means a lot!

Maybe a bit of my tism and O.C.D help me with it, idk 🙃🤣
I'm only 17 and I've only been in the hobby for about 3 years... My last tank wasn't that spectacular lol. It was a 20g high and I didn't like the look at all.
When I upgraded, I really put all my knowledge into scaping this tank, even getting some advice from members here...
I regret some decisions I made in shaping it but overall I do like the way it turned out!

My mom has said I have a natural eye for design... I've always loved putting things into specific orders and designs. Just always been a me thing lol.

Yah, I definitely didn't want the front to be covered in plants as I felt like the fish wouldnt be visible as much, so I wanted to give some space in the front for them to free swim and then the sides and back are hiding places and cover spots.
I love these rocks! The color, the texture, and the size... And when stacked, it gives PERFECT caves for the gudgeons!

I will take any advice given! But thank you so much for thinking I'm well experienced!

I'm so happy to hear that!!
I was going for a jungle-like river set up so that means so much!! Thank you!!

Absolutely! I'll definitely tag you if I ever do that!

I use a hygger 24/7 sunrise/sunset aquarium light. It's only 24" long but lights the tank up perfectly... Although I am thinking of upgrading the light...

No need to apologize!

I live with my parents sense I'm only a teen and I have the max size tank my parents will allow, so I probably won't have a new project for some time...
I have thought about doing a natural betta scape... (@betta4ever! has inspired me to do this in the future)
I'd absolutely love to do a larger tank with discus and corydoras sometime...
Maybe so some Zebra pike Cichlids or even setting up a North American River tank... That would be awesome! (Wayyy out into the future though lol)
A Myanmar, Australian, and Amazon biotopes are also on the list of possibilities for far into the future...
So many fish I would love to keep!!
Venturing into saltwater would be a huge step as well...

I always wonder when you say that... What does it mean?
Keep an eye on Craigslist if you want a big tank cheap

Congrats on the win... 🏆

Most reactions

Back