Rocks For Maintaining 8.0 Ph

MalawiHero

New Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Points
0
What rock can I go buy from Hope Depot/Lowes that will keep my PH at a nice 8.0? I would love to hide one in my 55g malawi tank.
 
I believe someone told me limestone before.... but i need to be sure before i put something in my tank.

Thanks again...
 
Anything with a limestone base will buffer the water and raise the pH. Tufa rock is another one. I'm not certain that you an get any of that at Lowes or Home Depot though. Best bet for an African tank is to use the substrates that are made for that pupose.
 
Tufa rock can look really nice. It's super light too. The only problem is, imo it looks aweful when covered in alage.
 
I went to the LFS and the owner sold me a piece of coral rock and said give that a shot. Will it do the trick?
 
I just testet my water 20 minutes after adding the coral rock and I have a reading of 8.0 PH. My tap water comes out at 7.8 so it worked then correct?

Thanks in advance...
 
no one can a second to drop me a yes or no? help would be much appreciated

TY to the replies so far... but i couldn't find any limestone at the local home depot, so i went with the opinon of the LFS owner.
 
I just testet my water 20 minutes after adding the coral rock and I have a reading of 8.0 PH. My tap water comes out at 7.8 so it worked then correct?

Thanks in advance...
Yes, your pH has gone up because of the coral.

Keep on checking, just to make sure that the pH does not go too high.

-FHM
 
i bought a used tank and mine came with some of this rock that i think you also have. i didn't know it at the time. i went back to school, and when i came home i was very alarmed to see the ph at 8ish (i don't have cichlids). i tested tap water and it was around 7. i took that rock out and the pH went back down to 7ish.

so yea i'd say that rock is the way to go.
 
Well the tank is remaining at a PH level of 8.0 and I'm wagging my tail. Thanks a ton for the feedback. I will recommend a piece of coral rock to anyone with a (PH 8.0) cichlid tank! Despite the fact that my tap water is 7.8 after about 5-7 days it begins to drop... and sometimes below 6.8! This rock is definitely a keeper!

Thanks Again
 
Well the tank is remaining at a PH level of 8.0 and I'm wagging my tail. Thanks a ton for the feedback. I will recommend a piece of coral rock to anyone with a (PH 8.0) cichlid tank! Despite the fact that my tap water is 7.8 after about 5-7 days it begins to drop... and sometimes below 6.8! This rock is definitely a keeper!

Thanks Again
Glad to hear it is working out!

-FHM
 
One of the nicer looking rocks that is mostly calcium carbonate is marble. It can look very nice in the water.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top