Roast Beef

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Bex

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all :D

So pleased I found this recipe bit cos I love to cook, but am very much a novice - chuck it in and see how it turns out is my way. I like sharing tips and good recipes though! :D

So, has anyone got any good tips for doing Roast Beef? I always buy a nice bit of topside from my local butcher, but I tend to panic a but with beef. All the sizzling kind of scares me! Plus it always look like it's going to be burnt, but then I get it out and it's still way too red in the middle for me - I don't like my meat to be bleeding on my plate, I prefer it MedWell.

So any good tips please or something nice to jazz it up a bit! :good:

For a start stop buying topside or silver side, these cuts look more pleasing to the eye but are not particularly great for roasting as they dont have much fat in them. The art to any good roast is choosing a piece of meat which has enough fat to keep the meat moist for the duration of the cooking time without being overly fatty.
I always use a bone in rib of beef for sunday roasts, a joint with 3 rib bones in will feed a family of 6 with no problems.

Start by pre heating the oven to 230c (gas mark 8 ), then heat some oil in a flame proof roasting tin on the stove top and sear the joint of meat on all sides until browned all over which will help seal in all the tasty juices for longer. Place the beef in the roasting tin into the oven and cook at 230c (gas mark 8 ) for exactly 20 minutes, then remove the roasting tin, baste the meat all over with the juices that have collected in the tin and turn the oven down to 190c (gas mark 5). Calculate the pre cooked weight of the joint and continue cooking it for 15 minutes per 500 grams plus another 15 minutes making sure to baste the meat every 15 minutes to prevent the surface drying out. (if you like the meat well done give it another 15 minutes as well)
When the time is up remove the roasting tin from the oven and spoon all the juices over the meat and leave it for 20 minutes before carving.

When the joint is ready to carve dont throw the juices in the pan away, remove the meat to the carving board and put the roasting tin back on the stove above a medium heat. Stir in a tablespoon of plain flour an blend it with the juices to form a smooth paste, pour in a pint of beef or vegetable stock (an oxo cube in a pint of water is fine) and bring it up to the boil while whisking all the time to prevent lumps forming, once it starts to thicken let the gravy simmer until it reaches the thickness you like. For an extra richness add half a glass of red wine with the stock.

fat fat fat the more the better. same with steak. i like to brown my meat before i roast it. i preheat the dish with a little beef fat. then transfer the roast tin to the hob at a medium heat. roll the joint in the tin making the red meat go. and this is taste, greypink or brown. then add any extra beef fat you have. and pop it in the oven i like my meat well done( I know I know) but sealing the meat will keep it moist. how dark you let the meat get when sealing, will impact the flavour and colour of the greavy, or sauce you make when deglasing the tin. lol its 30 years since i qualified as a chef. hell man that makes me feel old!

Cheers guys!

CFC - I will try a rib of beef. I'll be able to get a nice one from my butcher. The reason I always buy topside is because I get it from my butcher (I buy all our meat from our butcher, much, much better than the supermarket), he hangs it so the meat is nice and dark plus it has a nice layer of fat all around it and it doesn't dry out at all.

Always willing to try something different though so rib of beef it is this weekend. Yummy! I'll let you know how I get on! :D

I usually cook roast in the crock pot, although a slow oven may be used as well. This is a favorite when all the kids and grandkids gather. I use the leftover cut-up roast and sauce with noodles, sort of a stronganoff dish.

Mix together:

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 T. worchestshire sauce
2 T. ketchup
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. vinegar
Pepper to taste
Onions if you'd like

Place roast in crock pot. Pour mixture over it. Cook on low 6 - 8 hours.

I usually cook roast in the crock pot, although a slow oven may be used as well. This is a favorite when all the kids and grandkids gather. I use the leftover cut-up roast and sauce with noodles, sort of a stronganoff dish.

Mix together:

2 cans cream of mushroom soup
2 T. worchestshire sauce
2 T. ketchup
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. vinegar
Pepper to taste
Onions if you'd like

Place roast in crock pot. Pour mixture over it. Cook on low 6 - 8 hours.
:good: to the Crock Pot would recommend that, but i add no more than a bit of water and perhaps a onion for the gravy!, i'm not a fan of the Slow cooker, bit much like a pot Roast for me.

I got a rib of beef from my butcher yesterday and it was delicious! I didn't seal it before I roasted it as it was quite late when I started cooking yesterday (had to watch the footy first :D ) but it didn't dry out at all.

SHame that cut of beef is expensive because it was so nice. Not something we can afford to cook every week though! Nevermind! Cheers for the tips people!

Buy a cheap joint of beef, wrap it in tinfoil and cook it slowly. Open the tinfoil 20 minutes before the end of cooking and turn up the heat a little. No matter what joint you buy if you cook it long and slow, sealed, it will be tender and succulent.

I've found a Lovely way to cook a chunk/joint of beef.

Get a jar of English Mustard (not Dijon or a mild mustard) - you can get a jar of English Mustard for 26p from Tesco.

Spread a thick layer of mustard on all sides of the joint of beef (apart from the bottom).

Grind up some black peppercorns with mortar and pestle.

Sprinkle a good layer of pepper over the mustard.

Lift onto a baking tray and cook the joint of beef as usual.

The mustard should create a crispy coating on the beef.

It's Really nice! Adds another dimension to the flavour and keeps the beef moist.

Just carve and serve with the usual Roasties and gravy.

Most reactions

trending

Back