Road side find

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I saw this tank on the side of the road yesterday but didn't have room in my car. Drove by again today and it was still there, so I snatched it up! There was a plastic bag next to it which turned out to have the hood, light fixture, and assorted decorations. It's a 29 gallon and looks to be in relatively good shape. I'll of course have to sanitize and clean it, and test that there are no leaks.

I don't necessarily have a use/need for it, but I couldn't help myself lol. What I might do is eventually transfer my harlequin rasbora tank to this one, and turn the 20g long they are in now into a custom betta tank. I'd like to get some kind of divider in there (plexiglass?) And use silicone so I can make permanent dividers. I've always wanted a tank with multiple bettas, but I know they can sense the pheromones with the typical store-bought dividers that allow water through so i haven't done it.

So many possibilities, but limited space and time, so I may not even be able to do anything with it at all. We will see!

My family doesn't get how exciting it is to get a free tank and hood and lights, but I figured you guys would!

20200914_131140.jpg

I saw this tank on the side of the road yesterday but didn't have room in my car. Drove by again today and it was still there, so I snatched it up! There was a plastic bag next to it which turned out to have the hood, light fixture, and assorted decorations. It's a 29 gallon and looks to be in relatively good shape. I'll of course have to sanitize and clean it, and test that there are no leaks.

I don't necessarily have a use/need for it, but I couldn't help myself lol. What I might do is eventually transfer my harlequin rasbora tank to this one, and turn the 20g long they are in now into a custom betta tank. I'd like to get some kind of divider in there (plexiglass?) And use silicone so I can make permanent dividers. I've always wanted a tank with multiple bettas, but I know they can sense the pheromones with the typical store-bought dividers that allow water through so i haven't done it.

So many possibilities, but limited space and time, so I may not even be able to do anything with it at all. We will see!

My family doesn't get how exciting it is to get a free tank and hood and lights, but I figured you guys would!

View attachment 116272
If only I could be so lucky! Great find!

If only I could be so lucky! Great find!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it!

You just......found it? Lucky!

Lol yep, just found it! It isn't all that uncommon in my area to see a tank on the side of the road, but they usually aren't more than 10 gallons and they almost never have any equipment to go along with them! These people even had a bucket of gravel with it, but I left it since I don't use gravel. Although I could have used the bucket itself for water changes lol.

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it!

Lol yep, just found it! It isn't all that uncommon in my area to see a tank on the side of the road, but they usually aren't more than 10 gallons and they almost never have any equipment to go along with them! These people even had a bucket of gravel with it, but I left it since I don't use gravel. Although I could have used the bucket itself for water changes lol.
I'm fantasizing about finding a tank now :rofl:

Great find.
Errr are you sure that's gravel and not copper sulphate? :D

Thanks :) I'm 99.9% sure it is gravel, and this gravel in particular actually, I can tell from the labels on the tank and hood/light that they were bought at Petco, and I've seen the same colored gravel at Petco as well.

Just kidding - I was only commenting on the colour ;)

Lucky! It's a great size, not too much, not too small to do anything fun with. Even if you're not sure what to do with it yet, free tank!! Never hurts to have a spare, you never know when you'll need it! A good clean, and it'll be grand.

I get the excitement completely! I'm jealous ;)

Nice!

Ive has a couple of free tanks in the past, always nice to come across those and be the first to grab it before anyone else get their hands on it.

Let us know what you actually decide to do with it.

The betta dividers idea sounds intriguing, do you mean to split the tank into three with two dividers to make sort of three tanks roughly 6 or 7 gals each ?

And then possibly sponge filters in each ‘tank’ section with one powerful enough air pump with a three airline way splitter to have their own filtration system.

Quite like that idea, I’ve seen similar sets ups in LFS, usually pretty pricey but using the one filtration system which means if any one betta gets an illness then that illness could easily be passed onto the next betta in the neighbouring tank section due to sharing the same water filter system.

I personally don't like divided betta tank... I'll explain why in the moring.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back