Rio 400 Stocking Ideas?

VespertineStar

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Dec 14, 2007
Messages
165
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
GY, UK
I'm currently in the process of buying a Rio 400 and as it's about 5 times the size of any of my current tanks I have no idea what to stock it with lol :blink:

So far it's going to be my plec and rainbow shark in there for definate and I'm also thinking of putting my 7 neons, 6 zebra danios, 6 harlequin rasboras and single solitary ( :sad: ) pearl danio in there and moving the mollies into my 110l on their own so I can add a bit of salt.

Any ideas what I can add to the 400? I'm pretty much open to any suggestions but would like some fish a bit larger than the other danios etc in there.

So far I've ruled out discus because of the plec and no cichlids either is that right?

Also, any suggestions for population control of mollies in the 110l?

EDIT: oops forgot to add my tap water and tank hover around ph 8.0, not sure about hardness 'cos I havent got a test for them yet.
 
ahh dont trouble yourself ith all the worry of thinking up stocking for it

bring it to my house instead and ill take the heat off you :D


oscars would be my first choice :)
 
Hey I've got to hire a van to go get it I don't think I can afford to send it anywhere else lol. Are there any that are a little smaller than the 30cm+ than I've seen before, something around 15-20cm?

EDIT: What about acaras?
 
Was just thinking of blue acaras lol, how many for a tnak that size though as it says they can be a bit aggressive towards their own species. :look:
 
So far my common plec, a rainbow shark that's about 5-6", 5 zebra danios, 6 harlequin rasboras, 7 neon tetras and a single pearl danio. Was also thinking perhaps some Purple Emperor Tetras.
 
yes Emperor Tetras are a good choice, seeing as they come from the same region aswell as blue acara, i would be inclined to find around 6+ and go with the floor, creating alot of cave's and crev's all around the tank, with alot of robust plant's<my choice being plastic> and hope for the best with the neon's...not sure if people keep neons with acara's or not :unsure:
emperor's are stunning in my oppion but can be a little agressive so thats where a good planted bit comes in,

Hyphessobrycon columbianus<colombian tetra
Hyphessobrycon columbianus<emperor tetra
Aequidens pulcher <blue acara
maybe lose the plec and find something a little smaller like bristlenose plec<Ancistrus spp or maybe
 
Oh plastic plants all the way as I haven't got the lighting or the know how to keep real ones alive lol. The neons are getting on a bit so they probably won't last much longer anyways. Any idea where I can buy some slate to make caves with? I've got a few bits and bobs already but for a 5ft tank I'm gonna need considerably more lol.
 
Hyphessobrycon columbianus<colombian tetra these are great i have some they get to about 1.5 " and get quite a deep body a sortof pirahna shape a nice neon blue stripe across the top and red fins
columbiantetra.jpg
its not the best pic in the world as they are quick lol i have just took this for you
 
certainly, go to a garden centre, avoid the fish shop section if they have, go into the outside for the garden section i found a huge peice about 3foot across by two foot by about 2inch deep which i split into two depth wise having two huge slabs now in tank and a few odd peices around, slabs are on rocks with plastic flower pots<cut in half>underneath giving hiding spaces....it cost me a grand total of 1.99 yes under 2 quid :good:
 
My goodness that's cheap lol; to the garden centre! :D

Thanks for the pic, they do look like mini piranhas lol kinda like small colourful silver dollars.

Any advice on other bottom dwellers like corys?
 
if you keep the neons in the 110L with the mollys you will have many more possibilities,

as for bottom dwellers, have a look at botia kubotai, really active and inquisitive little guys.
any corys would also be fine too, as would 2-3 hoplo cats.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top