Rio 240 Lighting

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Whitey_144

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've nearly completed my Juwel Rio 240 for a fish move, last bit of the puzzle is the lighting. The lighting unit still works after 4 years in a shed...result! but i had a few questions.

• What lighting does everyone prefer for a planted amazon tank (low light)? I usually go for Hagen aquaglo and sunglo, but i'm open for suggestions.
  • I'm tempted to get a 3rd bulb, so that I can have a blue light on a timer, If you had 3 bulbs which types would you use?
  • Do I have to get T8 38W bulbs for this light unit, or are there different types these days that would work with it (been a few years since I last had this tank setup!) - still looking for low light setup for maintenance.
  • I read on the internet that its best to replace the endcaps everyyear, do people do this?
  • Is the 240 front and rear flap the same? I can see on ebay someone selling them seperately? I lost one of mine, but seem to recall them being identical.
  • Does anyone know where i can buy the end piece of the light unit, its about an inch wide and is what keeps it on the lip of the tank (i lost one end and cant see it on ebay).
I have Java fern, moss, vallis, crypts and anubias.

Thanks!
~ Whitey ~

[font="Verdana]Hi all,

I've nearly completed my Juwel Rio 240 for a fish move, last bit of the puzzle is the lighting. The lighting unit still works after 4 years in a shed...result! but i had a few questions.[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]
[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]
  • What lighting does everyone prefer for a planted amazon tank (low light)? I usually go for Hagen aquaglo and sunglo, but i'm open for suggestions.
  • I'm tempted to get a 3rd bulb, so that I can have a blue light on a timer, If you had 3 bulbs which types would you use?
  • Do I have to get T8 38W bulbs for this light unit, or are there different types these days that would work with it (been a few years since I last had this tank setup!) - still looking for low light setup for maintenance.
  • I read on the internet that its best to replace the endcaps everyyear, do people do this?
  • Is the 240 front and rear flap the same? I can see on ebay someone selling them seperately? I lost one of mine, but seem to recall them being identical.
  • Does anyone know where i can buy the end piece of the light unit, its about an inch wide and is what keeps it on the lip of the tank (i lost one end and cant see it on ebay).
I have Java fern, moss, vallis, crypts and anubias.

Thanks!
~ Whitey ~ [/font]

anyone? :-(

I have a plantgro bulb at the front on my rio and a blue aquatic one at the rear. Both are T8 38W ones. I used liquid ferts and now liquid CO2 (which the plants have responded well too) so I think the 2 bulbs will be enough for your plants.

The flaps appear to be the same size but the front has an indent for opening it.

I fitted a 30cm bulb led strip light for moon lighting which runnings off a timer. Didn't really fancy trying to bodge another t8 into there and the plants seem fine with just two bulbs.

Hope that helps.

I have a plantgro bulb at the front on my rio and a blue aquatic one at the rear. Both are T8 38W ones. I used liquid ferts and now liquid CO2 (which the plants have responded well too) so I think the 2 bulbs will be enough for your plants.

The flaps appear to be the same size but the front has an indent for opening it.

I fitted a 30cm bulb led strip light for moon lighting which runnings off a timer. Didn't really fancy trying to bodge another t8 into there and the plants seem fine with just two bulbs.

Hope that helps.

hey, thanks man.

I went ahead and bougth two T8s, although i could only find 40W ones, the flaps also turne dup and only one had the handle, both flaps seem to have a hole for feeding and plastic gap cover, which i dont like much, but is fine as they're are black. i reckon i bouthg my rio so long ago that i got two identical flaps, hey ho.

i've built a control box for the wires, and two timers one for the T8ss and probably the other for a 3rd dusck/dawn light. Ill wait and see how it goes, have you got photos of your moonlit tank?

I do use, tpn+ and liquid CO2 for my 30G, but i seem to have algae problems, hopefully the 240 will be more stable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back