Rio 125 - Update! 7th May

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

ardandy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
EDIT: ITS A VERY DIFFERENT TANK NOW SO SKIP TO THE LATER PAGES

I wish I'd have started a journal from before I put everything in the tank but from now will have to do I guess!

My plan is to get some more plants (Java moss on way) and increase the denseness of the foliage in parts. Covering the gravel in a carpet is also an aim.

Still unsure as to whether or not I should go fully natrual or keep the boat/temple in their. I dont mind them but the missus likes them. (boat isn't in 2nd pic).

If anyone can tell me the name of the plants please do, I just got them from my LFS. Using my iphone as a camera so bare with me on the quality front!

There's standard large gravel mixed with plant substrate (cant remember make) and I also use API Laef Zone as a fertiliser. No CO2 for now (see how it goes).

-----------------------------------------

Have to say I'm astonished at how quickly these things grow!

2 weeks from planting my plants have gone from this:

004.jpg

to this:

005.jpg

Can't believe its only 2 weeks growth! Hopefully the rest, when I get them, will grow as fast!

Found 2 snails at the end of last week, no idea where from but I got them out and will have to see if theres anymore. 10 Neon Tetras are all thats living in their for now with a plan for some more 'small shoaly' type fish and some Shrimp.

IMO, if you want the true planted tank look, get rid of the fake stuff. Your snails most likely hitchhiked in on your plants. i'm surprised you got growth like that without co2. what light are you using?

those lights will be T8's or you will get monster algae growth, and switch to tropica plant nutrition + as a fert, because the one you have only contains trace elements and potassium, and you will need traces, nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.

also if you are using T5's buy a pressureized system, and use some easy carbo along side

Nice one.
Growth looks good so far, and no sign of algae. Therefore I would continue exactly what you are doing now.
With an increase in plant biomass, you may find that you need to increase the nutrient dosing. In which case I'd follow truck's advice and purchase some Tropica Plant Nutrition +.
From there, you can observe how things develop. If plant growth slows down/stops and you get algae then Easycarbo may be the answer (help against Carbon deficiency).

The missus likes the fake stuff so might not get my way on that one!

Always a good idea to keep the significant other one your side. However if some inspirational aquascapes were shown to her with their non-boat/castle ornaments, she might be converted? :hey:

Find your favourites on this site, then show them to her. :cool:

It's worth everyone else checking out that link too. Fantastic 'scapes there.

those lights will be T8's or you will get monster algae growth, and switch to tropica plant nutrition + as a fert, because the one you have only contains trace elements and potassium, and you will need traces, nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.

also if you are using T5's buy a pressureized system, and use some easy carbo along side

The new Jewel Rios come with T5 'High lites'. Whatever those are!

http://www.aquarium-products.co.uk/Juwel_R...25_Aquarium.htm

Well, heres my new scape!

No idea if its any particular style I've borrowed, I used what I bought and already had!

First thing I did was partition the tank using the lid to 'shepard' the fish into a nice safe, dark corner so I wouldn't be bothering them too much. This seem to work fine as all still seem happy!

008.jpg

I still have Riccia Fluitans and Monosolenium Tenerum (Pellia) to put onto a mesh and cover the bottom right part where the gravel is lower at present.

Quite pleased with it so far and the fish seem happy enough!

The tree thing is Redmoor and the stones are Petriifed Wood.

Here it is: (be kind as it has to be an improvement!)

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

Bravo!
That is 100% better.
With the right plants and care, this has the potential to be mind-blowing. :good:

Going to eventually get some more Tetras (diff ones to the neons) and some shrimp (hence the Shrimp shelter!).

Got Riccia and Java oss to go in now!

Most reactions

Back