Right section for snails?

rykitten

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I hope this is the right section, I apologize if it's not. . .

I have 2 Ramshorn snails. About 2 months ago they began hibernating. A few weeks ago my boss wanted to flush them. Luckily I figured out they were adding to their shells and making them bigger. So we let them be.

About 2 weeks ago the larger of the 2 woke up and is actively destroying our plants again. :blink:

But the other is still hibernating. I haven't seen any sort of movement at all for about a month. It's pulled way back into the shell, and he looks white.

My question is if a snail looks white, is it dead?

Wrong section You want inverts. and amphibs. but I'll answer your question.

The snail is probably still alive or it has only been dead for a short while. Although it may verywell be on deaths doorstep I would suggest that you put him in a jar or bag and then float that in the tank to prevent an contamination should it die.

Now about ramshorns. Ramshorns will eat plants like mad there is nothing for you to do about it they are the worst of the comercial snails but you can entice them with tasteyer plants like zuke's and carrots. Also rams are pest snails they lay there eggs under water so it is nearly imposible to tell when they have and they can quickly overpopulate a tank the only reason that they are sold in pet shops is that they grow to be so large. you shoul concider replaceing them with a few apple or mystery snails.

Opcn

U'll know if it's dead coz it will STINK!! Well, maybe only after a few days but u'll know all the same lol. I think if the body's pulled right in they're still alive coz all their muscles relax when they're dead so the body shows a little.

As for ur plants, my apple snail is a nuicance & uproots & eats my plants. Irritating little critter - can be useful but annoying all the same. In my experience, they tend to create more mess than they eat. If ur going to replace the ramshorns, consider replacing them with a small shoal of ottos or similar if u have the room. Although apple snails might be easier to manage (they need a male and a female to do the job, unsure about ramshorns), ottos will clean up algae in a flash & they're seriously cute!!

Anyways, just my 2 bobs worth. Goodluck with it all :)

Thanks for the replies!

He still hasn't moved, I don't think. I just took him out and looked into his shell. I can't see him at all, he's so far pulled back into his shell. When I dumped in over (to get out excess water) a bunch of slimy stuff dripped out. I guess that means he's still alive???

He seriously hasn't eaten in almost 2 months. :crazy:

I like the jar idea, I'll do that.

I have been putting zuchinni and lettuce slices in every other day. It works sometimes, but they really do like those live plants! I'll try the carrots too.

I have those tiny snails that come in on the plants. Not sure what they're called, but they multiply like crazy!!! We had 3, now we have dozens.

The rams have laid eggs on several occasions. They've always been huge jelly sacks attached to a plant. I don't know that any have ever hatched because I always see my Gourami eating the eggs.

I want them to hatch because the LFS said they'd pay me for them. :fun:

You guys were so right, he stinks to high heaven!!! :sick:

I just took him out to have a look and there was slimy stuff coming out of him and he stinks like sulpher (you know, that icky rotting smell.)

The funny thing is, he was still pulled tightly into the shell.

He hadn't moved in almost 3 months, so I guess I should have known awhile ago. :X

Maybe the Moderator could pin this topic or one similar on how to tell if you snail is dead?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back