Riccia Fluitans Background.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Weiro792

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've been contemplating creating some type of a back ground for my 55 gallon planed tank. I was thinking about a slate rock, but then decided it would probably be too heavy, they I looked into the fake rock(foam covered in cement) but don't want to drain my tank... Then I thought of...

A Riccia background! Using some type of mesh attached to the back of my tank I would think it would make a pretty awesome looking background. Soooo... I was just wondering if anyone here has ever attempted this before? Any thoughts or ideas would be great!

Something like the background on here perhaps.
http://fancyflora.blogspot.com/2012/05/aquatic-plant-riccia-fluitans.html

It will look terrible at first, when you've just strung the riccia onto the mesh. But once it grows in it will look beautiful! You may need quite a bit of mesh and riccia to cover the background on the tank in your signature though, it could be costly but it will take time until you can fully appreciate it. There's lots of guides online of how to properly execute one of these.

How costly were you thinking? I found some mesh at my local craft store and it should cost me less than 5 us dollars.

I like the idea of a Riccia backround, but as Dreamer said, it will look weird when it is still growing.

Insanely high amounts of light, CO2 Injection and a lot of EI ferts and you'll get the background you want. Other than that, Expect a good year till you get full growth. It's a very very slow grower.

techen said:
Insanely high amounts of light, CO2 Injection and a lot of EI ferts and you'll get the background you want. Other than that, Expect a good year till you get full growth. It's a very very slow grower.
From my understanding isn't Riccia a fast grower? from my experience with it, it doubles in size in about a week... 

Weiro792 said:
How costly were you thinking? I found some mesh at my local craft store and it should cost me less than 5 us dollars.
The amount of riccia you'd need to cover all of the mesh could be costly. Definitely not an amount you'd find at a LFS. But it depends on how much you want to cover as well.

DreamertK said:
The amount of riccia you'd need to cover all of the mesh could be costly. Definitely not an amount you'd find at a LFS. But it depends on how much you want to cover as well.

Ah that makes sense... I currently have enough in my tank to seed the mesh. I think at least. I'm going to do a test section first and see how it goes!

Weiro792 said:

Ah that makes sense... I currently have enough in my tank to seed the mesh. I think at least. I'm going to do a test section first and see how it goes!

photo.gif
  Pictures when you get it going please!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back