Rhy's Blau Gran Cubic 238L (+25L Sump) New Tank!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GGtank

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
As I posted in my old journal: I've upgraded to a 70G system (Blau Gran Cubic 238L with sump). Now I think the sump is 25L water capacity (subtracting from the heater/skimmer etc that's in there, but that's just a guesstimate.

Took some good pics over the last two days, will be posting them here. Think it's only fair to start a new journal now that the tank is new :)Bye Bye Juwel Rio, Hello Blau Gran Cubic!

Check tomorrow for the piccies, I'm too exhausted after transferring everything and scaping it tonight (it's been a LONG 4 days of moving stuff!)

Was this from seahorse aquariums? I was tempted by that myself. It looks excellent.....get the pics up

Yeah that was the one! Its a great looking tank alright

Shall post the pics later today, just came home from lunch to check on it..... unfortunately a fair few casualties from the move :(

Coral beauty, neon dottyback, my cleaner shrimp (of 1 1/2 years), and by the looks of it, my clowns as well...

Not sure if it was just the stress of the move, or maybe I should have acclimatized them for longer or perhaps let the coral settle a bit before putting in the fish seeing as every coral exploded in defense mechanisms when they were moved esp the zoas.

I dunno, at any rate, not too happy with the loss of all those fish, the coral seems fine, the long spine urchin is ok, CUC ok, even the BTA seems ok, so maybe it really just was the stress of the move but losing those fish doesn't feel great at all. Esp the clowns which I've had for almost 2 years now.

Anyone else lost fish in a move?

Some pics
photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

photo1-2.jpg

The Hitchhiker
photo4-2.jpg

photo2-2.jpg

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 248
Cheers! Tank is settling down now, he's a bi-colour blenny.

Haven't found my algae blenny yet but i suspect the worst. SO far the corals are ok, CUC seems ok and my green wrasse and the bi-colour blenny seem very fine and eating well as is the nem.

Have now put some cheato in the sump with some more rock. Put the skimmer there too, but its not working -_- sigh. Gotta do some water tests, will post the results.

photo2-3.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

Brought a sample of my tanks new water to the LFS and they said it was perfect, so happy with that (at least I know it wasn't the water that got them). At any rate I have to restock the tank with some more CUC and with FISH!

Stocking ideas (let me know what you think and if these will get along well)
- 1 flame angel
- 3 ignitus anthias
- 1 Bangai cardinal
- 2 true percula clowns
- 1 royal gramma
- 1 six line wrasse
- 1 leopard wrasse
(and I have 1 bicolour blenny already) and I'm trying to get rid of my not so reef friendly green wrasse (but she is hell to catch)

- would also love to add either a dartfish/or a goby/ or a jawfish to that mix

Too much? Tank is 238L + 25L sump

What u guys think?

That's a very neat tank. Looking very smart.
Health to enjoy.

I think the stocking is basically ok. I'd not add in that order though. Gotta pick the most peaceful first then work your way up. Of course, watch the angel with corals. The leopard wrasse will need sand as will a jawfish, but you've got that.

This is a fantastic upgrade. My guess is that the fish succumbed to the move and the acclimation. Shame... I also have a neon dottyback. GREAT fish, at least mine is currently behaving. What personality!

Love the neon dottyback!! was one of my fav fish, and mine got really big, prob 4'' before the move. She used to dig tunnels and dart about the rocks, definitely one of the most interesting fish I've kept (I even posted it in the fish section lol but no one else seemed to have one, I think they get an unfair rep).

Yeah definitely not stocking them in that order, unfortunately the green wrasse is already in and I still havent managed to get her out.

Today the list looks like this:-

''Stocking ideas (let me know what you think and if these will get along well)
- 1 flame angel
- 3 ignitus anthias
- 1 Bangai cardinal
- 2 true percula clowns
- 1 royal gramma
- 1 six line wrasse
- 1 leopard wrasse
(and I have 1 bicolour blenny already)''

Yup 3 anthias purchased and drip acclimatising now as well as two black percula clowns! I figure everyone goes for the true percs or the ocellaris so why not be a bit different right? after all I have a cube tank! (and tomato clowns/skunk clowns/ maroon clowns won't fit a peaceful setup)

Pics as soon as their in!

Some pics

Acclimatising
photo1-5.jpg

Black Percs
photo2-4.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

3 Anthias
photo4-3.jpg

Bi-colour Blenny coming out and trying to swim with the anthias. He's been very pleasant, swimming with the clowns and the anthias. Green Wrasse has gone into hiding, she'll be in for a shock when she gets up!
photo5-2.jpg

Think those are resplendent anthias btw

Cheers :) Still a huge work in progress, but it'll get there

Today a bit of re-modelling. Got skimmer working, put some carbon in the sump, bought a new LED for the sump and some general upkeep

Sump as it is now. Skimmer attached at front, the separate compartment where u see the nets is supposed to be for automatic top ups
photo2-5.jpg

Filter sock over inflow into sump, cheato in the corner, carbon in sock in middle compartment and return pump
photo3-3.jpg

Re-Modelling, will prob loose some zoas due to light but i think it looks a lot better this way and gives me more space for coral. Seems my acropora is gonna be lost as well. Water is cloudy from all the epoxy, will post some clearer pics when things settle down. Fingers crossed the BTA won't dislodge itself from where i've moved it. ***fingers super crossed***
photo1-6.jpg

photo4-4.jpg

Inhabitants FISH
- 3 resplendent anthias
- 2 black oscellaris clowns
- 1 bicolour blenny
- 1 green wrasse

Inverts
- 1 yellow sea cucumber
- 2 skunk cleaner shrimp
- a couple of snails (1 zebra turbo, a few nassarius, a couple astreas) need to get some more, maybe next week
- Long spine black urchin
- 3 hermits (one red, one blue and one very large green)
- 1 rose BTA

Corals
- Zoas
- Kenya tree
- Trumpet
- Mushies
- some star polyps

(as you can see, I've lost a lot of livestock (esp corals) and fish from the move. I did expect some loss, but not this much. Water is still good, temp/salinity/etc so maybe they just didn't like moving?

At any rate, will slowly be restocking the tank. I'll be adding new inverts, new fish and new coral slowly as things stabilise; will keep you guys updated as it goes.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back