Returning To Tropical Fish Keeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nelson401

Reaction score
I am considering setting up a tropical fish tank but the more I read the more I am being put off, it would appear that the primary aim of the fish today is to die.
It is some fifty years since I last kept tropical fish in a homemade 24”x12”x12” tank without a filter. The tank was set up with tap water and natural plants and left for three weeks before fish were introduced, My bible was the magazine “The Aquarist” I cleaned the tank weekly with a vacuum type cleaner to remove the fish droppings and cleaned the front/side glass with scarper to remove the algae. I never once removed and replaced water and I RARELY LOST FISH.
I would welcome the thoughts of experienced tropical fish enthusiasts

Hi, Nelson,
welcomeani.gif
to the forum
smile.png

I think you've raised a few issues here; I'm not quite as old school as you, but I doubt much changed before I started fishkeeping in the late 70s/early 80s
smile.png

Firstly, I believe our water is 'too clean' nowadays. I think there used to be a lot of nitrifying bacteria in the water supply, which is why we didn't need to cycle then as we do now.

Next, nearly everyone used live plants; this method is still in use; 'silent cycling' and the 'Walstad method'. These help with cycling and nitrate control in mature tanks.

Finally, a lot of our fish are now farmed, rather than wild caught, and lack of care in choosing breeding stock (and lack of natural selection!) has led to a deterioration in health and longevity of some fish species that used to among the hardiest; guppies and neon tetras are a prime example.

On the positive side, our fish now grow to more like the size they should; in the old days they were very often stunted by inadequate sized tanks and infrequent water changes. I have books from the 60s that give sizes of fish as way smaller than we'd expect now. Oscars at 6"?!

And we can keep and breed things that were considered extremely difficult in those days
smile.png

From experience, I would say that the newest methods and ideas are far, far better than the 'old ways', and our fish are happier and healthier (in general!) than they would have been then. I will never go back
wink.png

Hello Mrs Treguard,

Thank you for your very poitive response, you've certainly given me something to think about, particularly your final sentence.

:hi: to TFF.
Don't let all that stuff about fish dying put you off, a lot of that stuff is because they are beginners that don't have a lot of knowledge.  Fish are always bound to die and often it is just because it is "a bad fish" from the LFS. It is definitely worth it, and you will get much joy from watching your happy fish.
I look forward to seeing your future tank 
wink.png

Local fish shop/store :)

You should be able to hover your mouse over abbreviations and get the meaning pop up.

Hi Nelson, I am also returning after a long period away. I am having huge fun just researching what I want to do - almost decided on an Amazonian blackwater tank (48"). I am buying bit's and pieces as funds allow, and hope to start stocking after a fishless cycling period around end of July.

:hi: to the forum, John :)

It must be mad for you guys coming back to the hobby; so much has changed in recent years!

Good Evening JohnofBothwell.

We seem to be travelling along a parrallel path, I would like to get a bigger tank but the alcove I have allocated to it will only accomodate a  three foot tank. I have spoken to a tank manufacturer who has his showroom just five miles away and I will be visiting him shortly to discuss the subject of seting up.

I am currently saving for a big family birthday party in August so I will have to see how far the funds will stretch.

Good Evening also to Fluttermouth,

Hovering over abbreviations does nothing so I still don'y know what LFS means.

I did say as well ;)

Local fish shop/store :)

Welcome (back?) to both Nelson and John!

I believe that when it comes to tanks, "Bigger is generally better."  But, I'm not as staunch about that in regards to fish.  Personally, I'm a fan of LOTS of LITTLE fish in a big tank, rather than a FEW really BIG fish in a big tank.  

As such, a 3 foot tank leaves you with quite an array of stocking options!  

And Nelson a 4 foot Amazonian blackwater sounds awesome.  Some of the prettiest little fish come from the Amazonian tributaries, the problem sometimes is finding them in local fish shops/stores (LFS).   And having a massive shoal or two of these fish in a large tank really brings a small slice of South America into your home!

How are you doing with your stocking choices?

Hi Nelson  just returned myself after 15yrs come on on in the waters lovely lol, seriously I am loving it the selection of fish is fantastic, just started with a 2ft hope to increase later in the year, the knowledge from then will stand you in good stead.

Hi Eaglesaquarium,

I'm at the early stages of choosing stock for my 48" tank. I would like around 10 corydoras, not sure which species yet. Possibly up to 20 small tetras, probably of two species, a pair of Apistogramma, and a couple of others - possibly non-annual killifish. Early days though, and all could change by the time the cycling period is over.

Went to a local aquarist showroom yesterday afternoon to discuss setting up my fish tank with a couple of experienced aquarists and got a number of Guides produced by "Sera" giving me loads of information. Looking at the picture as a whole think I have decided not to go ahead. There is no one reason but lots of smaller issues that have put me off; changing 20% of the water each week, having to test water each week for ammonia and nitrates and treat accordingly, fish that seem to have death as their prime objective, plastic plants because natural one are usually infected and bring additional problems.
This latter issue was the final decider as one of my main attractions was to create a self sustaining eco system, I realised that, apart from creating a lovely specacle, one of wonders I experienced when I formally kept fish was choosing plants etc so as to create that self sustaining environment.

I can't understand what has changed in the intervening years to create such a precarious situation.

Can I thank everyone who has responded to my posting.

The plant's actually don't cause that many problems. It does depend on the plant but the likelihood of having a problem is normally around 1 to 1000.
I respect your decision and if you ever change your mind, you know where we are. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back