Returning To Fishkeeping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

One_Trick_Pony

Steals the show
Reaction score
Hello folks,

After a rather long absence I am back with a couple of beginner type questions, forgive this life has been rather hectic.

I have my 35 gl tank, original going to have Saluosi in there, anyway for reasons to numerous to go into I have changed my mind!

I now want to keep a community set up feature some (hopeful all) the following.

Harlequin rasboras
Tiger barbs
3-4 small cories
3-4 otos

In terms of numbers do people have suggestions?

My second question and the one I have not been able to answer myself despite searching is sand, good planting media? I have read in numerous places that its excellent, (though perhaps not so much for Valis (sp?) ((long leafed ‘grass-ish’ type plant))

But also that I should try not to have the sand too deep, little more then 1 inch is suggested, is this sufficient for planting? And if not is there a trick to it? Deeper patches to plant in, a mixed media substrate?

Thanks

OTP

In regards to the stocking numbers, I'd say since the tank is 35gallons you should be alright with

6x Tiger barbs
8-10x Harlequin Rasboras
5-6 Corys (May I suggest panda corys?)
and of course the 4-5 oto cats.

I'd def recommend sand as a substrate as it's better for the corys. In regards to the plant question, sorry not my field of expertise.

Now there' a turn up for the books
Welcome back OTP.
The Tiger Barbs although a very nice fish I would refrain from using and as for the Otto's you really need a well established tank for them to survive (algae present)
The corys would be fine (search out a more unusual type) Harlequins excellent choice.
I would include Marbled Hatchets for the surface. Cardinals for colour (large shoal) and my all time favourite Black Phantom tetras.
4-6 Corys
6 Marbled Hatchets
6 Harlequin Rasboras
4 Black Phantom Tetra
!2 Cardinal Tetra
If keeping a planted tank
4 Shrimp sp.
As regards to substrate I use fine gravel (certainly not sand and not the larger common pea type)
For plants.mix unwashed fine gravel with one of the easily obtainable Laterite aquarium additives such as JBL Florapol
[URL="http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=196"]http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=196[/URL]
Mix enough additive with the fine gravel to covet the base to a depth of around 25-30mm. Then over this place another 35-40mm of well washed fine gravel.
This is the formula I always use and produces great results. (although other factors need to be considered for growing great plants)

Regards
BigC

Hey Big C and thansk to PRW

I hope you are well?

How bizarre I just noticed I joined the forum exactly 2 years before posting this thread

With regard to stocking The Otos would not be added til much later on of course, and I like your idea of adding a splash of colour but still want to keep a small number of species.

12 Harlequins
12 Cardinals (maybe neons, they seem rather easier to get hold of around here)
5 Panda(?) Cories, maybe a more unusual type if I can find them
4 Otos (added later)

One down side here is the Harlequins and Cardinals are both middle strata swimmers I think?

With regard to planting and substrates, the tanks is actually already set up as detailed here:
http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/18...si-Tnak-Set-Up/

It is now FULL! (finally)

Which I really love, and had hope to keep almost entirely intact with the addition of some slightly deeper substrate, and some plants, (not an all out underwater garden as I have had in the past)

That said I have the photo of it there and can re set it up anyway, and indeed will have to in a month or so when I move anyway, (it is highly unlikely any fish will be purchased before then, unless the move is delayed) so any additional substrate can wait til then, I may invest in the plants now for designing sake. (with feed will the be ok in a fishless tank,?) if not they can be re-housed anyway…anyway after that wall of text I will sign off!

OTP

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back