Returning fish keeper.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

asoftuk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, it's been a while, 2004 I think was the last time I kept fish. Returning member from 17 years ago.
I have finally started the hobby up again with a 165 ltr - 35-gallon tank (not too big or too small), plus a 90 ltr - 20-gallon tank.
Tanks are established and going well after a 3-month wait to add fish which are now steadily but cautiously, being introduced into their new homes along with several Chrystal and Armored shrimps.
The 35-gallon tank has Co2 injection to aid the growth of the plants I have in there, while the 20 gallon has plants that are fed by liquid Co2 supplement. Both have liquid fertilizers added weekly also.
Pictures and equipment to follow. Thought I would say hello as I have not long remembered that I used to use this forum for advice.

Welcome back. I'm in pretty much the same situation but a few months behind you. Just getting a high tech planted setup running, come back to the forum and hobby after a lot of years away.

Looking forward to seeing your tanks and would love to hear more about their setup!

Well, it's been a while, 2004 I think was the last time I kept fish. Returning member from 17 years ago.
I have finally started the hobby up again with a 165 ltr - 35-gallon tank (not too big or too small), plus a 90 ltr - 20-gallon tank.
Tanks are established and going well after a 3-month wait to add fish which are now steadily but cautiously, being introduced into their new homes along with several Chrystal and Armored shrimps.
The 35-gallon tank has Co2 injection to aid the growth of the plants I have in there, while the 20 gallon has plants that are fed by liquid Co2 supplement. Both have liquid fertilizers added weekly also.
Pictures and equipment to follow. Thought I would say hello as I have not long remembered that I used to use this forum for advice.
I'm not too brilliant with a camera but here's the 35-gallon tank.
It's a fairly simple setup.
200-watt heater,
Under gravel filter across the left side of the tank only, the right side has no filter under it.
Dual outlet air pump, 1 line into gravel filter and 2nd into a 9-inch air stone buried under the gravel.
2 inches of standard gravel covered with 2cm of Tropica aquarium soil which is then covered with 1cm to 2cm of medium grit sand.
The main filtration is a Fluval FX6 running with 3 chambers of ceramics and 1 carbon plus various foams from coarse to fine.
Co2 injection by FZone 2.5L generator system.
NICREW Planted LED Aquarium Light 98cm

The tank wasn't designed as an aquascape it has been put together for safe places for fry to hide safely out of the way from harm once the tank has been fully stocked.

Water Quality
PH - 7.2
KH - 80 mg/l
Alkalinity - 80 mg/l
Cl2 - 0
Nitrite - 0 mg/l
Nitrate - 10 mgl
GH - 75

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    493.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I've done that also and ...UG filters plug up under plant roots. The filtration will go down. At first it seems compatible. Plants grow fast...but eventually you have no filtering down there.
But,if you stick to small fish,that will be so much better for you and the fish world.:)

Now I have an image of the small tank setup. This tank is only 31" x 12" x 14". It was put together to keep my mother entertained watching the fish. She suffers from Alzheimer's plus Senile Dementia.

Tank stock is 4 assorted mollies,
9 Neon tetras,
2 Angelfish,
3 Tiger barbs,
3 Armoured shrimp,
2 Chrystal shrimp.

Random plants in this tank that I do not have a clue what they are plus some rustic slate and an artificial corral archway.

Attachments

• IMG_20211026_171941.jpg
    IMG_20211026_171941.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 28
Love your tanks! Im also returning to the hobby... I took a 1-2 year break after I killed a betta... Looks like you remembered a thing or two lol...

I'm not too brilliant with a camera but here's the 35-gallon tank.
It's a fairly simple setup.
200-watt heater,
Under gravel filter across the left side of the tank only, the right side has no filter under it.
Dual outlet air pump, 1 line into gravel filter and 2nd into a 9-inch air stone buried under the gravel.
2 inches of standard gravel covered with 2cm of Tropica aquarium soil which is then covered with 1cm to 2cm of medium grit sand.
The main filtration is a Fluval FX6 running with 3 chambers of ceramics and 1 carbon plus various foams from coarse to fine.
Co2 injection by FZone 2.5L generator system.
NICREW Planted LED Aquarium Light 98cm

The tank wasn't designed as an aquascape it has been put together for safe places for fry to hide safely out of the way from harm once the tank has been fully stocked.

Water Quality
PH - 7.2
KH - 80 mg/l
Alkalinity - 80 mg/l
Cl2 - 0
Nitrite - 0 mg/l
Nitrate - 10 mgl
GH - 75
Do I see loaches in there? Are those clown loaches?

They are a pair of fish that survived months of neglect (previous owner). They came with the tank when I purchased it. I think they may be a barb of some description but I am unsure and that was just a rough guess.
Ohhhhhhh! Tiger barb!

They are a pair of fish that survived months of neglect (previous owner). They came with the tank when I purchased it. I think they may be a barb of some description but I am unsure and that was just a rough guess.
Your silver fish with the black line down it is a Penguin Tetra...and I can't make out the fish @Rocky998 is referring to.

(And welcome, by the way).

Most reactions

Back