Retrofit Lighting or Ballast replacement

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

daveg6529

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a dilemma.
The ballast unit on my Aquamatna 250 Ltr tank stopped working last week. Namely, the lights switch on for a few seconds before shutting down. A replacement unit (complete) isn't an option because it is no longer made. The unit itself is sealed so I can't even get at the ballast to test it.
I have heard that there are retrofit replacements (with their own power supply) are available.
Are they worth considering?
Anyone know what they are called, where to get them from (in the UK) and what the cost would be. The current T5 size is 85cm.
Tank community is, 40 tetras (various species) and Cories, no live plants.
The tank is 8 years old.
I am looking for any opinions before making a final decision.

Dave

I have retrofit LEDs on my main tank. I have Aquael tubes, these come with plastic sleeves which enable the tube to sit in T8 or T5 lamp holders. They only use the original lamp holders for support, they have their own power supply and the original light flex should not be plugged in to the mains.

Superfish also make retrofit tubes. Like the Aquael tubes, they have plastic end pieces which enable the tube to use the original lamp holders for support only.

Arcadia make tubes which use the original fluorescent lamp holders for power as well as support, but they can only be used with a magnetic ballast, not an electronic ballast. However, in this case it's probably the ballast has failed, so this one isn't really an option.

Some of the shop light replacement LEDs require that you rewire your fixture ie: remove the ballast. For these bulbs, the pins on one side will provide the power (120v in the USA), the other side is for support.

For myself, this is an easy wiring job and I would prefer to get rid of the ballast.

Most reactions

Back