Resun Wavemaker

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Since moving into a larger tank I really do not have enough water flow. Because im on a really tight budget now as well im looking at cheap solutions.

I have in my digging come across the resun wavemaker. Basically its a large powerhead with a simple wave controller. It looks pretty good even though the controls seem very basic so you cant really fine tune it. Anyone have any experience with these? They sell new for about £100 and I have seen them going for £50 second hand and on ebay.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for cheap (ideally under £50) options to get more water movement. I have just about X10 turn over at the moment so need to get in about another 8000lpg.

Here is the spec:
RESUN WAVEMAKER 15 000L/H

Advanced wave making control system

Produces 3 different waves or whirlpools, automatically change and adjustable timer control.

Small-medium-large waves change automatically in turn to recreate natural wave seen in rivers.

Low voltage DC pump makes it safe for users
Unique design on the control system,for users to adjust the time on different waves so that best condition for fish is produced.

Time range:
Small Wave 10-20 seconds
Medium Wave 5-15 seconds
Big Wave 2-10 seconds

Output:
Small Wave 2000 litres per hour
Medium Wave 8000 litres per hour
Large Wave 15000 litres per hour

Power:Small 6.5w Medium 12.5w Big 25w
Pump size:length14CM×width10CM×height7CM

Controller Size
length16CM×width10CM×height4.5CM

Transformer size length10CM×width6CM×height4CM
VOLT 240V 50/60HZ

Barney, there is a long thread on:
Oh, just remembered can't link to another forum

PM sent

Seffie x

:fish:

lol :) thanks seffie, will take a look at it when I have some time spare

lol after looking at my bank balance I decided that paying the rent might be a better option this month :)

But I think I will go for one of these when I have the cash. From what I have read they are pretty good for the price (nowhere near as good as the tunze but it is a LOT cheaper).

How's the price compared to the new Tunze "nano" wavemaker. Even though the "nano" rating is really more mid-sized tanks :)

Its at least half the price Ski (bought new in the UK). I have seen them on ebay as well (direct from hong kong though) for around £50 (including postage).

Gary, I will forward you the link. I didnt get chance yet to have a good read through but basically it seems there are mixed opinions on it. I think a lot of people that are unhappy with it where expecting too much though.

Saw that, found some links around the 'net at various other outlets. Looks like they're bulky, functional, have a cheesy mounting bracket, but they're cheap... Some complaints with the cheap electronics production.

I personally really want to see what comes of the Coralvue wavemakers that are coming out soon. Look like perfect knockoffs of the Tunze pumps...

cool, I hadnt heard about these before Ski, do you have any links?

I was thinking of making a DIY wavebox (they are very easy to make) but by the time I buy a controllable DC pump its not going to work out much cheaper.

Might just have a link :)

I too would have love to have built a wavebox myself, even the electronic controller. It's really just a 555 timer with a few accessories as far as the circuit goes. Very simple stuff you can find from any 'tronics reference book. Trouble is, I can't find a reasonably priced submersible DC motor in the watt range we're interested in... At least not one that isn't sold by an extortionist :(

Yeah exactly :) I'am keeping an eye out for a cheap, suitable DC pump but if I have to pay £80+ for it then its not really worth it.

Thanks for the link, the pumps look pretty good, low power and good flow rates.

Got my second hand tunze wavebox the other day - looking forward to trying it out - but must admit, when i saw it I wondered why so expensive! :crazy:

Seffie x

:fish:

Yeah its not exactly that complicated, pump on a timer in a box and thats basically it. Still might get one of the resun ones once I have some money spare and see if I can modify the timer on it.

Do these pumps need to have variable current supplied, or do they work in just on-off? From Ski's description of the circuitry, I'd guess just on-off. In that case, why not just rig the 555 timer's output to a relay capable of mains voltage and fit a conventional mains powered propeller pump to the timer? It can't be that simple, I must have missed something, but I can't see it, so I'll ask to find out :shifty:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back