Restocking My Fish Tank

JohnRossDele

Fish Herder
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Co.Down Ireland
HI all ATM in my 240 litre juwel rio i have

3 Blue Acaras
1 fm Krib
6 tiger barbs
6 cory doras
1 clown loach

Today i took a long look at my tank and I noticed that one of the blue acaras is being bullied by the other 2 blue acaras (which seem to do "courtship" i.e head quivering, flaring fins, shiving ect.) so my tank may have to be restocked to look something like this

2 Blue acaras
1 fm krib
9 swordtails 3 males/6 females
6 cory doras

would this be ok for breeding the 2 blue acaras in and would the other fish be compatible as they breed along side with the breeding swordtails

thanks
 
I'm no expert on blue acaras but after reading about them I don't think you should have two in a 240l, also they will probably end up eating your swordtails.

I think you should definately rehome the weak blue acara.
 
I'm no expert on blue acaras but after reading about them I don't think you should have two in a 240l, also they will probably end up eating your swordtails.

I think you should definately rehome the weak blue acara.

what could i breed along side with them instead of the swordtails then, most websites say 2 blue acaras will be fine in a 240 litre :dunno:
 
Read some of the earlier threads about your stocking - you know the answer!
 
In my opinion 2 blue acaras is a squeeze inside a 240l tank, on the blue acara fish profile on these forums it says you can't have them with livebearers as they'll become lunch.

I suggest breeding kribs alongside them.
 
There are also posts from users on this forum that say they've successfully kept swordtails with blue acara. And I don't think 240L is too small for 2 blue acara.
 
In my opinion 2 blue acaras is a squeeze inside a 240l tank, on the blue acara fish profile on these forums it says you can't have them with livebearers as they'll become lunch.

I suggest breeding kribs alongside them.

ok no livebearers for me then, and im breeding kribs in my 100 litre, i wouldnt say sailfin mollys would be lunch
 
I certainly wouldn't breed kribs alongside acara - it'd be war.

I wouldn't breed ANYTHING alongside. If you insist on keeping the pair in 240l then I'd maybe have them only in there if you want them to breed or maybe just a bristlenose.
 
I certainly wouldn't breed kribs alongside acara - it'd be war.

I wouldn't breed ANYTHING alongside. If you insist on keeping the pair in 240l then I'd maybe have them only in there if you want them to breed or maybe just a bristlenose.

ok, would it still not look empty

how about 6 corys, 2 blue acaras & 1 bristle nose
 
I'm just telling JRD what I've read.
I suggest he does a search for "blue acara" in the new world cichlid section or wait until someone who's actually kept them comes along and posts. As there are a few people with blue acara on this forum. And there is a lot of information (more recent than the 5yr old profile in the index at least) that's been posted about them there.

I certainly wouldn't breed kribs alongside acara - it'd be war.
He said the kribs are in a 100L tank, the blue acara are in a 240L. Two different tanks.
 
young one suggested he breed kribs in with the acara - that's how I read young ones' post
 
"Peaceful for a cichlid of this size, and can be combined with other species that are too large to swallow. Good tankmates include medium-sized characins, catfish such as Corydoras and Loricariids and, in a big enough tank, other peaceful cichlids. It's best kept as a mated pair and, if they decide to breed (which they often do), they'll need at least 48" of space to themselves. Bear this in mind if you want to keep it with other cichlids or territorial species. "

Info from seriously fish
 

Most reactions

Back
Top