'Restarting' a Tank

StellarisBen

Reaction score
Hey all!

I was given a tank ~5 years ago as a present, managed to keep it well for a few years however faced problems near the end of this period with bacterial blooms and an inconsistant ability to keep the tank properly (young/naive/schoolwork).

I've been staring at it for months now - water left in, lights broken and filters running at half mast. Realised that this previously beautiful tank didn't deserve this fate, so I'm giving it a proper go now I have more time.

I have fixed the lights - they're working well - the back oft he pair is a slightly different colour, i'll put this down to a store owner telling me I needed it!

Rest of the tank is a different story, water quality seems alright, going to test the water for an initial standard with an API test kit just after I finish writing this. A lot of particulate in the water and massive build-up in the Fluval U3 filters (140 liter tank, two Fluval U3 filters - overkill?) - I imagine some pretty intense vaccuming will need to take place.

I'm here to keep a log of the progress I make, but I'd love any input you can give me on the following:

- What do I need to check in regards to the performance of the filters? I imagine the pads will need replacing, how do I do this without upsetting bacterial balance?

- Should I recycle the tank, i.e empty everything, deep clean and start again? How would I do this?

I'll provide any pictures/stats/info that is needed.

Many thanks.

I'd say restart the whole thing, not because its bad, but because sometimes restarting a tank is the best and most interactive thing to do! keep the filter cartridges uncleaned to keep bacteria though. You could replace gravel, maybe get some more rocks? a picture would be really really nice! so many ideas for you but I need a picture for my brain to actually create some Good ideas lol

Thanks for the reply!

This is the tank - one of the filters was not working so I've repaired it (problem with the intake, happened when it was in use too) so I've dropped it back in; there's one just to the left of it too. The blue tubing is what I was using for the air filter/bubble mixer, I'm in the process of removing it to make any rebuilding easier - I'll add it back when possible.

Lights are properly workiing now after some drying, flickering has now gone too. Heater seems to be working well.

I'd love to keep the gravel, as it's a nice pruple/black, however the moss balls have a layer of the white particulate on them (as well as everything else...) but I'm hoping they're salvagable.

I'm open to any suggestions/ideas, would like to keep to a small budget, however I have a good amount of time!

Thanks!
DSC_0008[1].JPG

Most reactions

Back