Resistant Strain Of Flukes?

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Joined
May 26, 2004
Messages
11,145
Reaction score
13
Points
38
Location
Kent UK
hi all,
I have had a problem with skin or gill flukes in my 42g for the last 6 weeks.
Water params have been constant all through this period and the only symptom is
continual and incessent flicking. I have treated with everything you can think of
(except copper based meds, due to eelcats and shrimp)
I have finally resorted to a pond medication called bacterad by NTlabs, which seems to have stopped
the flicking almost immediately. dosage is once, then again in 10 days if needed

do you think that there maybe a medication resistant type of fluke out there?

I'll keep you updated on this treatment, so if it works or fails you know in case this happens to you
 
there are plenty of drug resistant parasites out there now. They are becoming more common because of improper treatment and mis-diagnosis. Also the same drugs have been used for so long now the bugs are just developing a natural resistance to them.
Keeping the water, gravel & filter clean goes a long way to preventing problems in tanks. And if you quarantine all new fish for at least a couple of weeks (preferably longer, say 4weeks) then you should be able to have a healthy tank with few if any disease outbreaks.
 
Some flukes take some getting rid of, most meds will kill the adult parasites in one hit but not the eggs, they why a week later you have to retreat, to kill the cycle of the parasite.
Flukes also cause bacterial infections, so its best to use a bacterial med after the flukes have gone.
 
firstly nothing new has been added to the tank in at least 6 months, however I do
use the same nets in all my tanks and thoe others have had new acquisitions, then again no other tank has this problem :dunno:

now been around 36 hrs since treatment with the aforementioned pond med and no signs of flicking from any fish and certainly no adverse effects noted,
it looks like i have found a cure but only time will tell
 
Good Luck Wolf! Have you lost any fish from the disease? I havent seen you on in a while, where have you been?
 
Good Luck Wolf! Have you lost any fish from the disease? I havent seen you on in a while, where have you been?
only lost one fish at around the 3 week mark, i guess the accumulative meds was just too much for it :/

I do come here daily, but now only once a day and rarely post now unless it is something worth posting about,
which these days is not a lot.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top