Removing silicone from glass

I've used these for years to clean up tanks , not while there are fish inside , for that I use cut up pieces of green filter pads.
That's a good idea... Have those pads ever scratched the tank glass?

I once used Scotch Brite on my brand new car’s windshield after a road trip left it covered in bug guts. It scratched it pretty badly and I worked on it with glass polish and toothpaste, etc. Never got it back to like new but anyway, if you try that method, make sure you get the kind that says it’s safe and will not scratch glass.

Yea it's infuriating. I thought getting the absolute shed load of actual silicone off would be the hard bit, I was very pleased with my progress.

I have always liked 3d backgrounds, I only removed this one because it was filthy. A proper replacement seems to be around £149 which I am not willing to pay. But Juwel do seem to sell one called STR for around £20 per sheet which may be a solution if I can't get this off. Though I'd rather not have to resort to that.
Well at least you have a backup plan!

I wonder if you carefully masked around all the tank’s sealant, if goof off wouldn’t in fact be the best solution. It will evaporate and then you could thoroughly clean and rinse out all surfaces and then remove the tape.

I get it, goof off is serious stuff.

Yah... I understand... But if it doesnt work out then at least you know where you can get one...
Well I'd prefer a backup plan that doesn't involve buying a whole new background

I wonder if you carefully masked around all the tank’s sealant, if goof off wouldn’t in fact be the best solution. It will evaporate and then you could thoroughly clean and rinse out all surfaces and then remove the tape.

I get it, goof off is serious stuff.

You don't think it could end up putting anything nasty in the water long term? I think I could protect the seals easily enough, but I was worried putting a toxic solvent in the tank could mess up the water when I eventually put some in

You don't think it could end up putting anything nasty in the water long term? I think I could protect the seals easily enough, but I am but was worried putting a toxic solvent in the tank could mess up the water long term
I’m no chemist but I’ve used goof off on some dinner plates my daughter painted. Granted they went through the dishwasher, but we’ve eaten off of them for a decade or more. The stuff completely evaporates. Any minuscule trace could be scrubbed away, rinsed and re-rinsed for peace of mind.

You don't think it could end up putting anything nasty in the water long term? I think I could protect the seals easily enough, but I was worried putting a toxic solvent in the tank could mess up the water when I eventually put some in
It is a risky move to make but its guaranteed to remove the sealant...

If I can't get it off I wonder if I could just attach a sheet of black plastic (or something similar) to the inside of the tank. Similar look to vinyl, but doesn't involve spending £100 on a 3d background.

The marks are actually more noticeable with a background on the back of the glass, so that's not really an option

You'll need a very steady hand, acetone and be gentle

I get using that sort of product on the outside of the tank, but is it safe to use it on the inside?
Since acetone evaporates immediately it should be fine, but a good rinse afterwards would not do any harm or leave it to air for a couple days to be sure. It should be OK if used carefully.

If I can't get it off I wonder if I could just attach a sheet of black plastic (or something similar) to the inside of the tank. Similar look to vinyl, but doesn't involve spending £100 on a 3d background.

The marks are actually more noticeable with a background on the back of the glass, so that's not really an option
Well,that got me thinking... There is an online store called Etsy that is really cool for handmade items... You can look for acrylic sheets that are colored black. A lot of times there is a color option on the product... Just ma!e sure to ask the seller if he is sure about it being fish safe and aquarium safe...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back