Regulating CO2 flow

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Dubby

His legend will never die
Reaction score
I have built a DIY CO2 unit and presently bubbling the gas through an airstone. I have also hooked up a "bell" system to give the CO2 more time to dissolve.

Is there any simple (read cheap :) )way to regulate the rate at which bubbles are introduced into the tank?

nope

There is no real safe way to comparess gas in a soda bottle, so dont even try..

if you notice that the bubbles is a bit much try to use less yeast or more water in your next mixture.

I work mine on one 2liter bottle per 10G of water.
Currently i have 3 bottles bubbling about 3 bubbles per second and my CO2 level is between 18 and 22ppm ph 6.4

Actually, there is, if you're somewhat mechanically and electronically inclined. Check this out.

pH control for about $50. Half of which is a solenoid-driven valve -- might be a little more expensive in a DIY case, because as SM mentioned, you'd probably want it to be a "Y" valve, to bleed the CO2 into atmosphere when it's "off".

Bicarbonate of Soda will regulate your co2 output. I mix bicarb to yeast at 3:1. I use the Nutrafin co2 setup which consists of approx 1 cup sugar, 1 level teaspoon (5 ml) of bicarb, third teaspoon of yeast and approx 300ml water. This gives on average 1 bubble every 5 seconds for about 4 weeks. I have 2 units in my 125 litre tank giving approx 15 - 20 mg/l co2.

Bol, I am not that electronically inclined to try that one :)

SM, thanks for the warning. What ratios do you use for yeast, sugar & water?

Bicarbonate of Soda will regulate your co2 output

Hmm...sounds interesting... So does this cause the mixture to last longer?

Any idea about the chemistry behind this?

Most reactions

Back