Refractometer Rhs-10atc

drag

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i bought this RHS-10ATC refractometer new on ebay, was wondering if anyone else had this type model and there experiance with it. in short is this a good meter?

long story short i have been using a corallife deep six hydrometer religiously for 2 years now. i always rinse it with tap water after use. i would have my water at 1.024 with it.

i got my refractometer and calibrated it with some water straight from my ro/di unit, then took a sample reading from my tank and to my surprise it read 1.028 :crazy: . so i went to my lfs bought a bag of cheato and asked them what specific gravity they kept there tank... he said 1.023. so i took the bag of cheato with water home and tested it with the refractometer it read 1.022.. and the meter of course had a +/- .001 reading . sounds like my aquarium water has been too high for a while. :(

That will happen, cheap hydrometers tend to drift high over time even if cared for. Refractometers do not drift their calibration much if at all over time. As you've found out, they're best calibrated with a solution with a konwn salt concentration. Calibrating at 0 (RO water) isn't perfect.

That will happen, cheap hydrometers tend to drift high over time even if cared for. Refractometers do not drift their calibration much if at all over time. As you've found out, they're best calibrated with a solution with a konwn salt concentration. Calibrating at 0 (RO water) isn't perfect.

yeah, i did calibrate it using ro water @ 0 ... and it read pretty close to the lfs "supposed" S.G
what else could be used for calibration.. i was not aware that ro calibration at 0 is not perfect. :unsure:

I was told to use the type of water you put in irons - can't remember the name of it now, is it distilled water? Anyway, you can buy it from the supermarket :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back