Reef Ready Tanks In The Uk, Where To Buy?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

xxBarneyxx

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Well after much moaning at my housemates about them not letting me set up my marine tank anywhere except under the stairs they have finally given in and let me set it up in the dinning room (provided I buy new carpet and redecorate it first).

This is great news as it means that I dont have to sit in a hallway to look at he tank, I have more room for it (bigger tank, woohoo) and building the stand and general maintaince on the tnak is going to be a lot easier.

Anyway. I had planned to get an aquamedic 120 for the original location because it was just the right size and was easy to get hold of locally. Now though I can got for a 5-6ftX2ftX2ft tank so the questions are:

Where is the best place in the UK to buy a reef ready tank of this size?

What price should I be looking at? One site I looked at had a 5ftX2ftX2ft tank for around £400 which seemed too cheap?

Now I need to get all the kit seperatly again I need to start looking at Powerheads, skimmers and lights. So:

Skimmers: I'm thinking a V2 800 or V2 1000 Skimmer. From what I have read these are good ones to go for. Both are over rated for a 150g tank

UV steriliser: V2 400 or V2 600

lighting: I plan on going to a full reef tank in the near future. Currently have an arcadia luminarie which is only 4ft long but had X4 54w T5's in. How much more light do you think a tank of this size would need to be able to grow LPS and SPS corals?

Water Flow: I'm thinking to start with X4 koralia 4's and possible a couple smaller ones + a wave controller.

Sump: I'm stealing the idea from someone on these forums and going to get a 20g ish koi tub. Will need to work out what size pump I need after I have the tank I think.

Heater: The house is pretty warm so I think maybe two 150w heaters in the sump should do the trick.

Would like to hear of any improvments, or changes to be made to the above. I have given this a budget of £2k in total (not including livestock) which I think should be doable.

Next thing to think about is fish and corals but will leave that for another post :)

hmm well I wouldnt go wild and buy a wave controller unless you have OODLES of cash (give me some)

I would buy a SCWD

scwd.jpg

Save some cash, UV steriliser is a nice touch but not 100% important straight away!

for sumps I'd look at this

Sump designs!

Heaters yeah 2 is a good idea so if one fails you got a back up!! I run one on my 4 ft!

Oh take a look at my tank (link in signature) I got a sump and scwd running also 4 x 552 t5 twin lighting!!

OH good luck!!

hmm well I wouldnt go wild and buy a wave controller unless you have OODLES of cash (give me some)

I would buy a SCWD

scwd.jpg

Save some cash, UV steriliser is a nice touch but not 100% important straight away!

Sump designs!

Heaters yeah 2 is a good idea so if one fails you got a back up!! I run one on my 4 ft!

Oh take a look at my tank (link in signature) I got a sump and scwd running also 4 x 552 t5 twin lighting!!

OH good luck!!

I would buy a SCWD

scwd.jpg

Sump designs!

OH good luck!!

I would buy a SCWD

scwd.jpg

Sump designs!

OH good luck!!

I would buy a SCWD

scwd.jpg

Sump designs!

OH good luck!!

Quintouple post, nice work :D :lol:

Barney, sound's like you're off to a good start there. For lighting, it's gonna depend on the tank you get really... Depending on where any center braces on the top of the tank are located (if any are used), will determine if/how you light it. Do you prefer a bluer look, or a whiter look to the tank?

You'd prolly be looking at either 6 T5HO bulb's spanning the length of the tank, or 3 metal halides, or some combination thereof. Were it my tank, I'd go with 3 ~14k 175watt electronic ballasted halides in addition to 4 10k 54watt T5HO's...

look at these for tanks:

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_43606.php

5ft tank is alot cheaper ;) althought not sure on how much postage would be but if your local with a big car bonus!

thats who i got my tank from , much the same size as what you are looking at as well mate, very good people and very nice tanks. only down side is that he does use chip board, although i have not found this a problem, i do find that it does not take much to damage it. the dude who buiilds them is very nice and if you need it somthing drilling or adapting in any way he will be only happy to help.

the link to my tank it may help you out a bit :) http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=161594

Thanks for the replies. Its good to know someone else has bought from them so I might give them a call. I dont need a stand as I'm building the part myself (and I should just have room for a nano cube on one side and a 20g QT on the other :) ).

Think I will make do with the 4 t5's to start with and look for a couple of cheap 150w-175w MH's before I start getting corals.

From looking at other peoples tanks i think I will be aiming for 10k tubes, not overly fond of really blue lighting.

I dont really think MH are really the only way forward for keeping corals? but thats my opinion!!

I have seen a lot of succesful tanks with T5's!

but it depends what you want from your setup! I went with T5's cause I dont like spilled light if that makes sense? and I dont wanna a ugly light unit hanging from my ceiling in my lovely house! and I really wanted a lid on top of tank, plus I wont get jumping fish! I cant be doing with being woken up to my son crying about a dead fish!! (he's only two!) they were bought for him originaly!!

T5's can be just as good as MH's, each have there pros and cons. But why not get best of both worlds :)

Now you say you dont like blue lighting.... regret you will :alien:

Yeah it might be different when you see it in person but I prefer seeing colours not 3,000,000 shades of blue :) I will try different tube combinations though and see what I like but I suspect its going to end up in the 10-12k range.

Think best bet at the moment is to get the stand frame built and then get the tank and see what I have to work with :)

Thanks again for all the help from you guys. Cant wait to get everything up and running now.

Most reactions

Back