Red Tail Shark! Info Please! :)

Batzman

New Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey, I have a 125L tank and I have 1x dwarf gourami, 1x flame dwarf gourami, 1x honey dwarf gourami, A pair of threadfin rainbows, 3 yoyo loachs, a male guppy, golden bristlenose catfish, 1x burneo sucker and a butterfly ram and someone suggested i could get a red tail shark, but I have herd these are very aggressive, and have had mixed comments, would I be able to get one with the fish I currently have?

cheers
 
When young they arent particularly aggressive, its once they reach adulthood they can be and would terrorize the ram and possibly the BN as they all hang out in the same region of the tank. So I wouldnt recommend one for your tank.
 
I wouldn't personally as I always believe gouramis to be quite shy and can easliy be dominated in a commnity tank. a red tailed shark would do that andmaybe intimidate them as he gets to his full size, I've had one about 7 inches long once. beautifu fish though
 
okiee, well i had a red tailed shark and they can be aggresive, but as long as you have a cave for them and plenty of plants in htey should be fine.
you can get albino red tailed sharks, which is the same but white, or you can get rainbow sharks, which can be less aggresive, the only difference is they have red fins where as the red tailed shark just has the back tail red. you can get those in albino coloured aswell.

they swim around the middle bit, but mostly on the bottom cleaning up. overall they are very interesting fish x

heres some pics:

[URL="http://www.funfishtank.com/wp-content/uplo...inbow-shark.jpg"]http://www.funfishtank.com/wp-content/uplo...inbow-shark.jpg[/URL]
[URL="http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-Red-Tail.jpg"]http://www.petpig.com/fish/fish/Shark-Red-Tail.jpg[/URL]
[URL="http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/rainbow-shark.jpg"]http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/rainbow-shark.jpg[/URL]

however i had one that was young, and i didnt keep him with any of your fish as iv never had them x
 
I had one years ago in a 4ft tank with platys, gouramis, cories and silver sharks, he was full grown and could get cranky *L* But he never did any damage as such, just pushed the others around a bit. When he got too bad he got moved out into a holding tank for a week, then back in to the 4ft he would go. The break used to settle his behavour for quite a while. Mind you this redtail was aggressive to some extent even when small.

I have one in my current 5ft tank, it is still young and stays completely to itself. The stunning look of them, overrides the aggression that may come, well to me anyway.

I just got rid of my 5 yoyo loaches, they were getting near full size and were getting very aggressive, non-stop harrassment they were giving my angels, they were sucking onto there sides. So watch them too as they age.
 
Hi i have kept a few redtailed black shark's, they are stunning fish when they get older, but i find you need a big tank to keep the peace, I had a small albino redtail shark in a 3ft and he would attack anything in with him, I found the most peaceful of the bunch were the red finned shark,only diff is they have redtail and all fin's are red, grow smaller than redtail and skinnier,also not as aggressive, also depend's, i found fish bigger than the redtail they don't seem to bother, my now redtail<fullgrown>doe's not attack anything, only harrase's the silvershark's apon feeding time<but that's short lived. :good:
 
I also have a red tail shark, and it get`s on absolutly fine with my fish, i have a huge catfish, some little loach, 2 black mollys, 4-8 silver tip tetra, and a few others, and the only thing the shark does **** of sometimes is the little loach, never harmed it though, and my tank is well planted with 3-4 caves and tubes, gets on great, nice looking fish too :kana:

Please watch the language. Attempts to bypass the swear filter can lead to loss of posting privileges.
 
I would not get one as they are agressive and can hurt fish and i know because i've got one and he does anoy my tiger barbs quite a lot. :crazy:


:good:
 
I bought one and my Flying Fox attacked it relentlessly so the RTS had to go next day. The FF wasn't going to accept him being there at all as he was there first.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top