Red/scarlet Hermit Crab

DIVEPHOTO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I think my crabs are breeding ?? i have a pair that has been locked together open end to open end for about 3hrs. prior to this one of them was just about out it's shell for a short while..
If they are breeding anybody got any advise ????

Cheers Guys

If there are hermits in both shells and the shells have been zipped together that long that would suggest pre-mating behavior based on what I've seen of other species. Other aggression wouldn't usually involve pulling the aperatures together for more than a couple of minutes. Actual mating usually involves both animals extending out of the shells (although it may not be for very long). As for what to do if mating is successful...there's not a whole lot to do. If the female ends up carrying eggs eventually they will have a pretty much zero survival chance in the average marine aqarium.

If there are hermits in both shells and the shells have been zipped together that long that would suggest pre-mating behavior based on what I've seen of other species. Other aggression wouldn't usually involve pulling the aperatures together for more than a couple of minutes. Actual mating usually involves both animals extending out of the shells (although it may not be for very long). As for what to do if mating is successful...there's not a whole lot to do. If the female ends up carrying eggs eventually they will have a pretty much zero survival chance in the average marine aqarium.

Cheers .. they were togethr or about 4hrs . then within about 2mins they were hidden away behind my rocks . thanks agian

Most reactions

Back