Red Rili Shrimp Sex Identification

Just had to show off one of my rili shrimp, they are starting to develop nicely now
DSCF3661_zps93ddd026.jpg

DSCF3664_zps5797f70e.jpg

Hopefully in a few months I will have rili shrimp galore

Oh, this is the perfect rili shrimp!! Well done. They are so cute when small. Did they all come out rilis?

No not all of them came out as rili's some have stayed clear all over, which has the potential to become a whole new colour morph.

Similar to mine, some clear, some cherries and some rilis. The other day I noticed some of the clear juveniles have very intense red internal horizontal lines. They are actually very cool looking.
The married couple in the breeder box with the mini filter still hasn't attemped to produce babies but they seem fine with daily 30-50% water changes.

Here is one guy but when i look at him on the picture he actually has more colour than i thought

dscf4007e.jpg

Look at the savages:

dscf4008s.jpg

And this is a baby rili. He's actually redder but i couldn't focus with the zoom for some reason so he came out dull.

dscf4017f.jpg

Looking nice, cameras can be hell for taking photos of shrimp with, the camera either wont focus proberly or the colours never turn out the same way as the naked eye sees them.

Next month I should have some new shrimp and snail species for my collection after my trip up to Cairns, really looking forwards to what I can bring home from up there.

Not a rili, but check out this little gem of a cherry
DSCF3691_zps2fd371ee.jpg

Notice the bars on the sides of her body
And here is a sister of hers with a darker red, and  the same bars that just have not shown as well in the photo
DSCF3687_zpsa1837f55.jpg

DSCF3684_zps7921e003.jpg

As you can see both females are berried and the most likely male colour to have bred with them is the little grey guy you can see next to the second female. I can't wait to see what their offspring will look like since all of these came from a black male cherry and a female dark red cherry.

Wow, never saw a grey shrimp before. You have some lovely collection.

Actually the grey is very similar to the original wild type cherry, but because these guys are so far removed from their wild relatives I am hoping I might start getting green,blue or yellow in the offspring.

I love the gray colour. Looks really interesting.
My grown up females are getting redder and redder with age. There isn't many dull ones to be honest so all is good. I have some dark cherries with dark legs too.
The tank is in desperate need of a trim and rescape but is overloaded with shrimplets and I even had to break the cucumber in parts to get small ones stuck in holes they made themselvew so it's really hard tidying this tank. I don't know how people do it. I'll be taking the corys out in a month or so, so it will be a dedicated shrimp tank and I'd have to break it down to catch the corys because they are fast.

Unrelated to this, but my blue eyed forktail rainbows have grown so much and are so playful. I love these fish. The males were courting the females today and look what these two were up to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbsbg0aRsN8

I hope I can breed them but I've got no spare space to move them out on their own at the moment.

Poor little guy was trying his hardest to get the girl in the mood, great video. I hope they do spawn for you and you can raise the fry. My threadfin rainbows have been displaying and showing off for the girls but as soon as I bring the camera within range they get stage fright.

If you like the grey of the "wild type" cherry's then you might also like this female who is a sister to the red females in the tank.
DSCF3586_zps3a9c0cf1.jpg

DSCF3611_zps23d41882.jpg

DSCF3599_zpseced1c26.jpg

She reminds me of milk chocolate.

She looks yellow/golden to me :)She is also very nice,

There is a patch of brown algae at the back glass that I never bothered cleaning since last year when I had the brown diatoms. I was looking at the tank the other day, and there was an army of little shrimplets over it munching. I figure they prefer the dirty look :)

Some pics I just took:

A rili female:

dscf4066y.jpg

A dark red cherry:

dscf4069m.jpg

And the married couple in the breeder box at dinner time:

dscf4065u.jpg

I think shrimp do appreciate a slightly dirty tank, it means that there is lots of tasty morsals for them to eat, because lets face it you almost never see them stop eating
laugh.png

Unfortunately the dark red cherry pic didn't come through, but I bet she is pretty.

And the married couple are looking good, I cant see any sign of a saddle forming in her, but it would be interesting to finally see her berried. If the males white body illness is transmitted through breeding, I think I read somewhere that not all of the offspring will display the whitening of the body. And who knows if he finally produces some offspring that are all healthy and fine it might help nail down which problem is ailing him.

Yeah, I realize now they like it dirty :) You should see what an army of shrimplets I have now :) They are everywhere. They love staying on the broad hydrophilla leaves that reach nearly to the surface because some food gets caught there when I feed.

The female with the male rili was saddled the last time I looked. I have to have a look again but I think I mentioned that not all my females have a yellow saddle. Actually, quite a few have white saddles.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back