Red Rili Shrimp Sex Identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snazy

Moved On
Reaction score
Got 3 Rili Shrimp yesterday and I was wondering if anyone is any good of identifying if I have males or females.
Only pictured 2 of them:

Shrimp 1:
dscf1752i.jpg

dscf1750kf.jpg

Shrimp 2:
dscf1769u.jpg

Not sure if I took a picture of different ones, but I think this is shrimp number three. To my untrained eyes he looks a bit like a male. It's hanging on the wood upsidedown on the pictures below. Anyway, can anyone make up a male and a female out of these pictures or should I purchase a few more from that rip off online shop? They are still young so it's probably hard to identify.

dscf1785s.jpg

dscf1786b.jpg

Even young I would be banking on them being male just by how narrow they are in the tail region.

And this is another one. I think on the first post I posted the same shrimp on three of the pictures, but can't be sure :blush:

This one has slightly different markings, the tail is clear and there is a clear spot on the head in between the red markings although not visible on the picture that much

dscf1783j.jpg

dscf1784k.jpg

Anyone else having a go at guessing? I might be getting the two dead delivered ones replaced according to the new correspondence with the shop but wondering if they are sending only males on purpose :blink: because when I was picking my cherry shrimp a couple of weeks ago in a local shop I couldn't see a male there.
Is it possible that the one on the last pictures above is a female?

It could be a female but with the clear sides and the distance from the shrimp that the photo was taken its hard to see if it is developing the longer side skirts that females have to protect the eggs. The only sure fire way of sexing them is with age, colour and the saddle in the females back area just behind the head.

Can you bait up a spot at the front of the tank with some food the shrimp can't resist to try and get them closer to the front for some close up photos?

He/She hasn't come out since, but I'll try to take a better picture. What do you mean by side skirts protecting the eggs :blush:
They are very small, I used super macro and zoom to take the pictures. How old do they have to be to have a saddle if they are females, or how long?

Here is one of my fully mature and breeding females note the extended shell over her rear swimmer legs.

P1070812.jpg

And another female
P1070125.jpg

Unfortunately I don't seem to have any good photos side on of any males at the moment.

Thanks for the pictures. They are really nice. Your cherrys are so red!!
I have a red cherry female in another tank I saw today(thought they all got eaten by the platies) She's saddled so I can tell she is a female for sure. She is about 3 times the size of these red rilis so I either have only males or they are too young. I am certain the one hanging upside down from the wood above is a male. I need to have a second look at the other two. I'll try to get better picture tomorrow. I am receiving another two next week but with my luck, you never know.

I always figure if they are young the more you have the better chance of getting at least one female and male. Play the odds :good: .
Good luck with the extra two.

Here is a pic of one of my almost rili shrimp that has occured naturally (no selective breeding or buying in stock) in one of my tanks. In the photo you can not see a saddle but the sides are starting the extend. Since taking this photo, she has now matured further and is a female showing a saddle.

P1070854.jpg

My money would be on the first being male and the last being female. Just an aducated guess but until they are bigger... its hard to tell!

Thanks. This one really looks like a rili shrimp. You can selectively breed her and get your own rilis :rolleyes:. For such a small thing they are not very cheap around here so I was trying to pass the easy way just with a few :blush: Hopefully there will be a female from the two new ones. The one on the second post with pictures is definately a male. I had a second look at the one I posted on the first pictures last night and that one looks like a male too. He was trailing a poop longer than himself grazing on an old stone I got from my other tank. Today I have to check the third one if he/she appears for a closer look. It's interesting that they are all with different markings although look alike. I can't catch it on pictures, but the middle part of the body is bluish, not white and when they were stressed in the delivery bag they were dark blue all over without red markings.

OK, so he/she has come out and I snapped a few:

dscf1808k.jpg

dscf1816le.jpg

dscf1817h.jpg

dscf1819.jpg

dscf1820u.jpg

dscf1830e.jpg

Just got an e-mail that I this morning I was refunded for the two dead shrimp because they are out of red rili shrimp now. Ain't that great customer service :sad: From last Friday when I sent the complaint till yesterday they were still available.....
Let's hope I've got a cheeky female out of these and it will teach me a lesson not to oder anything form this company. If anyone is in Ireland and wants to know the name I'll PM you as I am not sure it's appropriate to post it here.

I put my 3 pygmy corys with them temporary to see if they'll spawn but not even sure I've got a male and a female out of them too.

That is really bad form of a company to substitue a lesser valued creature for a high end value. I would contact the company again and say that you do not want plain cherry shrimp as re-embursment, rather that you would prefer to wait until they have more rili shrimp available or they can refund you the funds owing. I am guessing that you would have paid quite a bit for your rili shrimp, I know they are not common in Australia and when they are available they can be up to $30 each especially for high grade rili's.
If/ when the two new cherry shrimp arrive, if possible I would not put them with the rili's you currently have, the standard red gene is the stronger gene (I suspect rili is more recessive) and breeding the normal to rili could potentially end up creating the bulk of normal cherry offspring with limited if at all rili offspring.
If possible I would let the three rili's you do have mature and see if you do have a mix of male and female and only once they are matured then see about maybe putting just one of the normals with the rili for a one off breeding. Then after the female has had her shrimplets remove the female (mainly if the female was the normal) and leave the shrimplets to mature with the rili's. As they grow any rili offspring that occur out of this breeding can be left with the original rili's while any normal looking cherry's can go back to the other normal cherry's.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back