Red Flame Goruami? Still No Conclusion......(one More Pic)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Scott MacAdam

Fish Addict
Reaction score
well on another exciting adventure to the lfs i found a small fish apparently named "red flame goruami"... being a very pretty fish, i decided to buy it because i have had a few goruamis in the past so i figured this would be no different. so i have come home to look it a up online and haven't found a thing. just to clarify, this is not the "flame gourami" with the word red stuck in front of it. i have had a flame goruami (red-orange body, blue upper fin) but this one is different..... this one has a Red head and fins that fades dowd into a pink then white. also, this is a gourami for sure not another fish. this will probabaly be very easy and i just haven't looked hard enough.

this is probably just a wrong name but i would love to know what it is ! any ideas??

if you guys are stumpped i have a camera in hand..... i'm sure it won't be that bad though.....

Without a picture, I'd guess that it's a color morph of the dwarf gourami or a honey dwarf. They tend to have quite a few of those now, and all named different things depending on where you get them.
A picture would help with a definite answer though.

edit: typos

fire red gourami, it is a color mourph from a dwarf gourami.

gourami_dwarf_red.jpg

EDIT: Also known as the Sunset Gourami

nope
not that one

ok as for the pictures...... (this will sound insane....) it's gone.....
i can't find the fish...... ohh god...

it wouldn't have gotten eaten though.... it was a fair size in comparison to my others......

i will go and look more... i'll move some things and check hiding spots...

ok found him

looking for my card reader for my camera now

ok got em
one sec

ok here is an ok one (neither came out VERY well

RFG1.jpg

and in this one the color is messed up because of the reflection on the glass...... the first pic is a good representation of the color

RFG2.jpg

ok and this last one show it over by my heater... again not the best but will work good for size comparison and so on. the colkor looks good in this one

3871d88f.jpg

sorry they are huge! lol ! best for a quick one

it's not a honey or dwarf....... and although it looks like it may be dyed in the pics, it is not and it's accually a bit more bright red with a bit of a pink hue

looks like an albino form of the sparkling gourami (Trichopsis pumila) to me ;)

Here's a picture that I think looks like it, found after googling Trichopsis pumila :good:
Image22.jpg

hmm that is close except the upper fin is not pointed like that one and there is no blue or black in the fins(more pink and white spots on the red)

here is another pic i just got

RFG4.jpg

once again the color looks more pink........ why that is i don't know..... just imagine it red! lol!

I appreciate the color is wrong but: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/fish2u_1899_77005
That's a three-spot color morph (Trichogaster trichopterus beign the scientific name if you wish to look these up). If it's realy red, it's probably dyed - I've never seen a 'red' T. trichopterus.

I can clearly see the ventral fins so it can't be a kisser - which is the only gourami I can think of at the moment with a similar shape and a pinkish color. Unlikely to be an ophronemus (to 30" BTW) because of shape - but maybe it's just very young...

accually i have one of those in the link! you can see it beside the red one behind the plant.

also, yes it's not a kisser, and as for the giant goruami, not one of those either...... although it would be an awesome fish to have (if i had a HUGE tank)

I have looked into lost of sites and fish nothing seems to match..... i guess it must be a color morph or a dye(hope to god it's not) of the Trichogaster trichopterus. although if it is a dye i will inform all of you if it starts to fade over time so you can avoid buying into any dyed fish......

any other comments or suggestions ????

Lol, didn't notice that.

http://www.fishinthe.net/html/fishguide/im...oto_0025_01.jpg maybe colisa labiosa? These are often mis-labelled.

Or maybe http://labyrinthides.chez-alice.fr/Html/Images/fasciata.gif
http://www.greenparktropical.com/Fish/imag...d%20Gourami.jpg colisa fasciata - also often mis-labelled but I've never seen one without stripes...

Are you shure it's not just a young T. trichopterus? The spot on the penduncle and general shape seem perfect...

Any chance you could get a clearer close up pic?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back