Red eye tetras look bored?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Initially I think 2 jumped. I never found a trace of a body. Old one got bad and died after the power outage in the cold last week. Remaining 3 look bored. I tested water, and KH looks a bit low so I put in a piece of limestone. I moved a lot of the guppies out of that tank to reduce crowding, maybe I took too many. temp about 78, pH 7.5, KH 40, GH 120, nitrite and nitrate between 0 and 20 - (yes the dreaded strips)
To be honest I am sure nitrite is zero, and nitrate probably below 10, out of my good nitrate test, last time I did it, nitrates were 6 before the water change
Hi Alice...

Aquarium fish really do get bored. The best thing for them, is to introduce a new plant or two. Fish like to explore and a couple of new plants either planted in the bottom material like kinds of Anubias or a floater like Anacharis or Water Spite will give the fish something to explore or hide in, just to liven things up a little. You could also get some water safe rocks from outdoors or some pieces of old driftwood. Just run the old vinegar test on anything you bring in from outside. The pet stores also have all sorts of things that will are tank safe that will make the fish feel more comfortable in their tank.

10 Tanks

Hi Alice...

Aquarium fish really do get bored. The best thing for them, is to introduce a new plant or two. Fish like to explore and a couple of new plants either planted in the bottom material like kinds of Anubias or a floater like Anacharis or Water Spite will give the fish something to explore or hide in, just to liven things up a little. You could also get some water safe rocks from outdoors or some pieces of old driftwood. Just run the old vinegar test on anything you bring in from outside. The pet stores also have all sorts of things that will are tank safe that will make the fish feel more comfortable in their tank.

10 Tanks
they are sick. I don't think they are going to live, they were not bored they were getting sick. see video above

they are sick. I don't think they are going to live, they were not bored they were getting sick. see video above
Hello again. It may be time for a larger than normal water change. The post read like the fish weren't sick.

10 Tanks

Hello again. It may be time for a larger than normal water change. The post read like the fish weren't sick.

10 Tanks
when one started spinning all got moved to a 10 gallon quarantine after I removed the occupants, and I dosed them. The whole thread is quite long

I dosed the 10. I am hoping the 55 is ok and the problem is limited to the tetras, I will be doing a large water change on it after my grandkids go home

I lost 2 of the 3 tetras in the 10 gallon within a day. The 3rd was hanging out yesterday, I forgot to feed him, getting the kids packed up to go home, will check on him a little later. My cories are ok in the 40 but I think they preferred their smaller tank. They preferred not having Buenos Aires Tetras stealing their bug bites.

Not good news I'm afraid. I had similar in a school of glowlight tetras. I suspect its a protazoan infection. In my case it gradually spread through the school and I tried every medication around. I ended up euthanasing all of them when it started spreading to other species. The other species seemed more resistant because they were fine after I got rid of the glowlights, I also got rid of the other affected fish.

I think I am going to euthanize the remaining red eye tetra. He's looking healthy but I need to basically sterilize that tank so I can use it for other fish and I don't feel like waiting a week. I think this came in from another fishkeeper on the 3 orphaned red eye tetras, 2 of which had died by the time I had the new 5 quarantined. Doesn't matter now. Big water change on 55, euthanize remaining red eye, good sized water change on 10, turn the heat up for a day then put a couple of guppies in to be sure that there isn't a cycle, eventually move my little cories back into the 10, I think.
Currently none of my other fish are affected, partly because the 55 was massively understocked

I had moved some guppies from the 55 to other tanks, found a dead guppy in my hex, had a not acting right female in my 29. I pulled her too. water changes start, in tank order, rinsing hose with hot water between tanks should do it? as soon as I take my bees some pollen substitute.

I lost 2 of the 3 tetras in the 10 gallon within a day. The 3rd was hanging out yesterday, I forgot to feed him, getting the kids packed up to go home, will check on him a little later. My cories are ok in the 40 but I think they preferred their smaller tank. They preferred not having Buenos Aires Tetras stealing their bug bites.
Hello Alice. Small tanks are a challenge for even the most experienced fish keeper. Why? Because, there's really not enough water to cover for even a slight mistake in tank management. The water in such a small tank can change in a short time and as we know, even hardy fish have trouble dealing with even slight changes in the water chemistry. I keep Tetras in 55 gallons of water and change half of it every week. The fish are going on four years old. If you really want to be a successful fish keeper, get a large tank and once you establish it, change at least half the water weekly.

10 Tanks

Hello Alice. Small tanks are a challenge for even the most experienced fish keeper. Why? Because, there's really not enough water to cover for even a slight mistake in tank management. The water in such a small tank can change in a short time and as we know, even hardy fish have trouble dealing with even slight changes in the water chemistry. I keep Tetras in 55 gallons of water and change half of it every week. The fish are going on four years old. If you really want to be a successful fish keeper, get a large tank and once you establish it, change at least half the water weekly.

10 Tanks

10 Tanks
They were put into the small tank for quarantine, they are sick, as stated in the thread in previous posts

10 Tanks
Dear 10 Tanks, I got my first aquarium in May 1984. Thank you for your advice.

No longer any fish in the 10, couple of plants, I've cranked the heat up to what I hope is 86, that should speed up the life cycle of anything protozoan? Question is whether the meds I have in are adequate when cysts loose in the tank from the tetras burst, or whether I should put in some methylene blue or something.
(I found it - hidden from grandchildren, that is one penetrating dye)

I re-cycled the 10 gallon and have moved my little trilineatus catfish back in it. I am debating on clearing the shrimp and the clown pleco and the female bristlenose from the 55, even the guppies, dip plants in bleach water, give it a 100% water change. or just bleach the tank with the water in it (minus livestock) to be sure everything gets clean, then re-cycle the tank. I am not sure what these red eyes had but I have some real nice Buenos Aires Tetras in my 40 long that I'd like to move up and I'm afraid to do it. One run of Neon Tetra Disease has almost eliminated tetras from my stocking list. Paranoia... Had to bleach every tank in my house, that does cause some paranoia..

It's not like the tank is heavily stocked. When the tetras looked funny I shifted some guppies to species tank with corydoras, and my hex with bristlenose. There is one shrimp, one BN, one clown pleco and about 6 guppies in a 55 gallon tank and I'm not adding other fish. I know the guppies, BN and clown pleco are immune to neon tetra disease because they were here when my tanks were pretty well wiped out by it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back