Red Eared Slider...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

raeburter

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to know some things before i get one of them...Since in singapore onli allow them to be kept..I might have a try at them..

1.How big can they get?
2.How long can they leave?
3.Is a 1 ft tank ok for them?
4.Can they scratch the tank?(its a dumb Q but im a newbie at them)
5.WHat they eat???
6.Do they need substrate??

Thanks

1. Males can get up to about 10 inches and females to about 12 inches long. But you won't be able to tell the difference between a male and female until they are at least 4 inches long.

2. They can live about 20 to 25 years some have been reported to live up to 40 years!! So this is definetly a long term pet and you must be dedicated to it and don't be surprised if it out lives you.

3. If you are talking about 12x12x12 (inches) then definetly not because that is only 7 gallons! You need at least 10 gallons per inch of turtle. So if you have a 3 inch turtle you need at least
a 30 gallon tank. But if you get a hatchling and you want to start off with a small tank I would recommend starting with a 20 gallon tank not a 10 gallon. It is always to get the largest tank possible not the smallest. Remember that in the future you may need a 100-120 gallon tank if not a pond outside. You save more money getting a bigger tank than upgrading to a larger tank every year or as it grows. When I bought my RES it was only 1.5 inches long it is now a year since I bought it and it is 3 inches in length. I bought it at 1.5 inches with a 55 gallon tank. Now I won't have to upgrade until it gets to 5.5 inches :D That will be about November of next year :D But Im going to make a D.I.Y 100-120 turtle pond in my backyard :D

4. No I don't believe they can scratch the glass (especially a hatchling).

5. They eat commercial foods (REPTIMIN), vegetables (not iceburg lettuce or spinach as it's bad for them), and meats such as worms (not waxworms) and crickets or fish, krill, shrimp, etc.

6. IMO, the best substrate is no substrate as is my case. But if you MUST get substrate then you should get large gravel such as large river rock as they can be harmful and cause death if swallowed (NO SAND!!!). You should only get sand as a substrate if you want a Softshell turtle as they need the sand to burrow in.

I hope I answered all your questions, if you have anymore let me know or visit the website below.

Great Site

ah, another smart turtle person. cool!

he basically covered evrything.

and dont forget, turtles need special lighting. there should b a spot for them to come out completely from the water. thats the basking spot and 2 lights should be over it - a uva/uvb bulb and a regular bulb. uvb helps turtles shells grow and helps in the shedding process and the reg. bulb gives warmth for them. these lites are important, as they aid in hardening in the turtles shell

filter-hehe turtles are VERY messy, so u might want to get a filter desginedf ro tanks bigger than the one u have. i would reccomend fluval filters.

hmm tats pretty much it. but let me warn u...turtles are nto easy to keep as pets. wen u buy them, especially from pet stores, they will most likely be sick, from poor conditions, so ull most likely have to worry about vet bills in the future.

ps. sry bout the explanation. im not very good at explaining things but hopefully ull understand :shifty:

Yes the above poster made some very good points. Especially with the lighting. And as for the filter that is very important. I have an Aquaclear 110 in my 55 gallon tank. As the name suggests it is for a 110 gallon tank which is double my tank. Aquaclear isn't the best filter but at only $30 it is a bargain and does it's job. Yeah the Fluval, Rena, and especially Eheim are all good filters ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back