red eared slider

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tawnrand1315

Reaction score
Can you give me some info on my turtle? I got her/him? from a roadside seller, she was only about the size of a fifty cent piece, now she's about 6 X 5 inches and is 3 years old, well, as long as I've had her. I know the basics, but need more "Experienced" info. thanx. :unsure:
tawnrand1315 said:
Danny - the lost soul--- said:
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to share my turtle tale.
Well  this morning about 8:00 while driving from building to building where my carpenters are working I was coming over a small bridge which cuts over a small creek with a pond on each end. Well anyways I saw a small spotted soft shell turtle about 3" round on the top of the bridge. I could see he was hit so of course I slammed my truck in park (almost got rear ended in the process) and jumped out to put him back in the water. Well, here is the sad part :sad: the little guy was bleeding from his little nose. I picked him up and kept him in a container as I drove to the vet about an hour away which takes wild animales. Though I knew the little was was not going to make it I could NOT just let him die without trying something. Needless to say he did die on the way there. :sad:
I was and still am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  that someone would hit an helpless animal. I know this happens but come on? You could clearly see it was trying to cross the bridge.

Anyways I went back to the site and continued to tend to my carpenters. During lunch I was sitting next to the pond and here comes a red ear slidder about 2" round walking up across the grass towards were I am sitting under a few oak trees having my lunch. The little guy walked right up as If saying thanks for trying to help my bro (turtle). He hung out next to me for a few and refuse to go back to the water. So of course like the sucker I am I decided to bring him home and add him to the tank that already has  3 turtles that are my boys pets. 2 Florida cooters and now 2 red ear slidders. All 4 about 2" round. He made himself right at home with the others. (ate like a pig!)

Wait there is more to my story., Anyways after lunch I put the little guy in my truck in a container with some water and anachris to nibble on. Wait, not done yet.. LOL :crazy:  :whistle:
Shortly after I was talking to one of the maint. men from the complex and was telling him about the turtles. When he says, O, wait! You know were the patch of dirt is between the 2 parking lots???? I replied. Yes, 2 weeks ago I recall seeing a HUGE spotted soft shell digging a hole ( laying eggs) Now keep in mind this nest is right next to the main road and between 2 parking lots. Two ponds are in the general erea about 1/2 block in either direction but, you MUST cross 1 if not 2 roads to get there.  He went on to tell me how many small turtles he picks up off the parking lot that tenants refuse to avoid hitting / killing. So  YEAP !
I walked over with the maint man and looked around. Thinking there is NO way they will make it to the pond once they hatch. So.........  Just picture a grown man playing in this sand pile. lmao. :rofl:  I dug, and dug, and dug, a good 4 sq. ft. spot. Finally I found 18 eggs which I carefully removed ( not turning nor spinning them around and placed them in a rubber maid with vermiculite and the same dirt.
So now I will wait for the little guys to hatch and will release them back to there pond once they are ready for the wild. I know why? A.) because If I would have left them they would probably be dead as soon as they try to get to the water. B. ) I have already hatch several species of turtles including an egg my kids brought home one day from there walk. ( a goffer turtle which is endangered.) It was hatched and released into a state park. :D Where they roam like they own the park LOL.

So no I will not be keeping any even though O would love to add another to the already toooooooooooooooo many pets we have.
2 - Flroida cooters
now 2- red ear slidders
2-Painted box turtles (1- of which is the last of 14 hatchlings 4 years ago) the parents were taken by my angry ex wife. :crazy:
2-cats
1-dog
6 Apisto tanks
59-cichlid tanks
1-girlfriend oops thats not a pet... hehe
or is she LOL
4 kids (boys) years.2-3-7-11 ...darn them aint pets either. :whistle:
Yes my home is a mad house. :-(  :crazy:  :hyper:
I will soon be charging an admission fee to enter my home. :whistle:

Sorry if this was a bore but just wanted to share my rescue/sad story.
Danny
[snapback]801088[/snapback]​
[snapback]852162[/snapback]​

I dont know anything about turtles haha but thats an amazing story. Good luck

Just read your story and I am soooooooo pleased to read about someone just like me!!!!!! Sometimes I think there are no good people left in the world but you showed there is!!!!!! :D :D
I have a slider called Mischka. I got her when she was a 50p size too and I've had her for 9 years.
I did have two (Marchello) but he died last Christmas Day of unknown causes :sad: I cried for 2 days it was awful.
Anyway, just wanted to say that's an ace story which I will be telling my friends and family about :D
Siobhan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back