Red Eared Slider Turtles Eggs.

M.R Otter

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Howdy mates!!
Feels great to be back to this forum! Will my old friends come and say hi?!

Fellas as most or some members on this forum know, I have red eared slider turtles walking, basking and running around my home's ponds....... But the problem is that I want to know where can I find their eggs... The reason why I want to find them is that I haven't seen any baby turtles for a very long time! And the gardener said that he saw a crow holding a baby turtle in it's beak few months ago, that's why I see more crows then usual around my ponds! Those poor baby turtles might be eaten all time! That why I want to find the eggs and hatch them artificially and raise the babies indoors until I solve the crows problem. Can anyone tell me where to find the eggs?

Thanks!!

likely you wont find the nest unless youve actually seen the female laying. they can and do travel quite a distance (even a mile or more) from their water to find the "perfect" spot (which usually is a sandy patch of ground). the female lays her eggs andthen does a great job of covering the nest and disguising it. so unless you have seen a girlie in the act, the only other thing is just t owatch for hatchlings. generally the eggs hatch 3 or so months after they are laid but this is not reliable as some hatchlings over-winter in the nest to hatch the next spring.
i wouldnt worry too much about predators wiping out all the babies. they hatch en masse so there are more babies than hungry bellies. some of the babies will make it, some will not. such is life.
it also would be a TON of work to raise a lot of little turtles to a point where they would be safe from predators. just a thought.
glad you are concerned about the welfare of the turtles tho. i love love love turtles!
cheers

Most reactions

Back